This year more and more companies are spreading holiday cheer by treating employees to office parties.
Research conducted last month by Battalia Winston found that 105 companies have committed to throwing a holiday party this year. This is a 17 percent increase from the 74 percent of companies that threw holiday parties last year.
Many executives are finding that a holiday party is just what their company needs to raise morale in recovering from difficult economy.
“It seems that companies are moving back to a state of normality,” said Dale Winston, CEO of Battalia.
However, nine of the companies surveyed said they would not be hosting an in-house holiday celebration. According to a study published in Forbes, some companies find that their employees are more interested in holiday bonuses rather than celebrating the season with a party.
Some companies such as law firms, drug-makers and health care companies have finished the year on the up and up are willing to spend more money on an extravagant affair. While companies who did not fare well this year are not so fortunate.
Matt Ostroff, a partner at EBE Events & Entertainment said one of his health care clients threw a holiday party for only 100 employees last year. This year, however the company is set to celebrate with 700 attendees.
“Business definitely is better,” said Ostroff. “Companies are back to having celebrations.”
He believes that employers want to show their appreciation to their team for their efforts in achieving this year’s accomplishments. Ostroff said this applies to both small and large businesses.
“At mom-and-pops and at the major corporations, parities sort of disappeared when the economy collapsed a few years ago,” he said. “The mom-and-pops didn’t have the money; the corporations didn’t want to be seen as spending. Both are back now, strongly at both ends of the spectrum.”
Ostroff helps companies plan their holiday parties by booking entertainment such as DJ’s and live bands, which he said took a hit when the economy weakened.
This year one of his clients is taking great measures to get into the holiday spirit.
“It’s an event being held at a casino. There’s a great dinner and a dance party, then everybody’s staying overnight. They’ll give cash prizes at the door-a couple of $1,000s and some $500s,” said Ostroff.
However, there are companies that are cutting back on their holiday party spending by using in-house event planning services and having their parties at restaurants rather than lavish locations.
New York party planner Linda Kaye said many companies are swapping holiday parties for team building exercises. She believes the exchange ultimately serves a company’s core purpose: “To bring your firm together in a very positive and creative way.”
Kaye said that several New York companies are uniting to raise money and provide relief to Hurricane Sandy victims.
She finds that rich people within her clientele are willing to spend more money on events such as company parties, birthdays and children’s parties.
“There was a period when everyone was holding back, no matter how much money they had.” Each day’s news brought new reason to worry about the economy or the stock market. Now, things seem to have leveled off,” said Kaye.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30