Awhile back, I talked about a topic that’s back in the news with the limited release of Ken Burn’s latest documentary, the Central Park Five.
Over 23 years after the high-profile 1989 rape case of a jogger in New York’s Central Park, fallout from the case continues.
For those who don’t know: On April 19, 1989, just after 9 pm, Trisha Meili, was jogging alone in Central Park when she was hit on the head with a tree branch, brutally raped, beaten, and left for dead. Fortunately, she survived.
Within days, five black and Latino teenagers quote-unquote “confessed” to the crime and the public reaction to the vicious rape of a white, Ivy-League professional was huge.
The media repeatedly described these 14 to 16 year olds as a roving “wolf pack” out “wilding” in the park. Pat Buchanan suggested a public lynching in Central Park of one of the teens as a deterrent to others.
The five were convicted after being manipulated by police into confessing despite the fact no DNA tests or eyewitnesses tied them to the victim.
In 2002, after the young men had served lengthy prison terms, convicted serial rapist and murderer Matias Reyes confessed to committing the crime alone and DNA evidence matched his story.
In 2003, the convictions were vacated and the five sued, but the case has yet to be settled by the city of New York. In fact, to this day, the NYPD has never admitted to mishandling the case, and the prosecutors whose careers were made by this case have not publicly acknowledged their mistakes.
The city of New York even recently subpoenaed the filmmakers of The Central Park Five as a way of derailing the documentary.
Not to mention the real rapist kept on attacking and murdering area women while the Central Park 5 were falsely in jail.
This case–like the Trayvon Martin case–was driven by stereotypes and says so much about us as a community. It speaks to our ultimate fears and sadly reminds us of how far we have yet to go in this country.
This could have been any one of our children they were unjustly persecuted by the system because a heinous crime had been committed against an affluent white woman within a racially polarized city, and the elected officials wanted to play politics and make examples and these five Harlem teens apparently “fit the bill.”
It’s disgusting and we need to keep focusing on this case until it is made right. Let’s push New York City’s Mayor Bloomberg to drop the subpoena against filmmaker Ken Burns and authorize the prompt settlement of this suit by calling 311 (if you’re in New York City) or call 212-NEW-YORK, that’s 212- 639-9675 (outside the city).
I’ll end with these recent words from the Huffington Post penned by freelancer Lisa Bernier:
“Go see The Central Park Five. Watch the interviews…Look into their eyes. Hear their voices. And work, by writing to the city, and by spreading their story to ensure that this city never betray five of its children ever again.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30