Well, the holidays are upon us once more and in 2012, we certainly have a lot to be thankful for.
First and foremost, I am thankful to God for my health and my ability to enjoy another day with my family, my friends, my loved ones, and all of you.
Given the recent presidential election, I’m thankful for the African American community that, despite numerous attempts to suppress the vote in places like my home state of Ohio, once again stepped up and rallied around those timeless and spiritual words, “ain’t gonna let nobody turn us ‘round.”
I am thankful that OWN, Oprah’s network has, after a rough start, righted the ship and established itself as one of the premiere networks on TV. Go Oprah!
I am thankful that Iyanla Vanzant and actress Maia Campbell have gotten together to ensure Maia has the best opportunity to overcome her setbacks and to live a productive life and be a good mother to her daughter.
I am thankful we were all blessed by the lives and contributions of the numerous notable individuals who left us in 2012 including Michael Clarke Duncan, Sherman Hemsley, Emanuel Steward, Chris Lighty, Rodney King, Donna Summer, Al Freeman Jr., Yvette Wilson, Chuck Brown, Tina Marie, Whitney Houston, David Peaston, Don Cornelius, Etta James and many more, may they truly rest in peace.
I am thankful that during this week, 146 years ago, the great Howard University was established.
For all of the families and individuals affected by Hurricane Sandy, I am thankful folks are beginning to put the pieces back together and that a number of relief efforts have been organized to help those still suffering.
I am thankful the police officer in Philadelphia who used excessive force and punched that woman in the face at a recent Puerto Rican Day parade festival was fired and is being charged accordingly.
That said, I’m also thankful that I know better than to disrespect a city bus driver. (they’ve been beating folks down left and right lately)
Given the Big Bird-PBS funding controversy that came up during the presidential campaign, I am sooooo thankful the term ‘Tickle Me Elmo’ didn’t take on new meaning until AFTER the election.
And finally, I am thankful for my TJMS family and the millions of listeners who, over the past four years, have become family to me. I love you guys!
I’ll leave you with this by French novelist Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr:
“Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns… but I am thankful that thorns have roses.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30