Well, the holidays are upon us once more and in 2012, we certainly have a lot to be thankful for.
First and foremost, I am thankful to God for my health and my ability to enjoy another day with my family, my friends, my loved ones, and all of you.
Given the recent presidential election, I’m thankful for the African American community that, despite numerous attempts to suppress the vote in places like my home state of Ohio, once again stepped up and rallied around those timeless and spiritual words, “ain’t gonna let nobody turn us ‘round.”
I am thankful that OWN, Oprah’s network has, after a rough start, righted the ship and established itself as one of the premiere networks on TV. Go Oprah!
I am thankful that Iyanla Vanzant and actress Maia Campbell have gotten together to ensure Maia has the best opportunity to overcome her setbacks and to live a productive life and be a good mother to her daughter.
I am thankful we were all blessed by the lives and contributions of the numerous notable individuals who left us in 2012 including Michael Clarke Duncan, Sherman Hemsley, Emanuel Steward, Chris Lighty, Rodney King, Donna Summer, Al Freeman Jr., Yvette Wilson, Chuck Brown, Tina Marie, Whitney Houston, David Peaston, Don Cornelius, Etta James and many more, may they truly rest in peace.
I am thankful that during this week, 146 years ago, the great Howard University was established.
For all of the families and individuals affected by Hurricane Sandy, I am thankful folks are beginning to put the pieces back together and that a number of relief efforts have been organized to help those still suffering.
I am thankful the police officer in Philadelphia who used excessive force and punched that woman in the face at a recent Puerto Rican Day parade festival was fired and is being charged accordingly.
That said, I’m also thankful that I know better than to disrespect a city bus driver. (they’ve been beating folks down left and right lately)
Given the Big Bird-PBS funding controversy that came up during the presidential campaign, I am sooooo thankful the term ‘Tickle Me Elmo’ didn’t take on new meaning until AFTER the election.
And finally, I am thankful for my TJMS family and the millions of listeners who, over the past four years, have become family to me. I love you guys!
I’ll leave you with this by French novelist Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr:
“Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns… but I am thankful that thorns have roses.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25