Caregivers often have a hard, thankless job. Whether they are taking care of the needs of adult parents while holding down a job and their own children, or taking care of a spouse, sibling or even an adult child with special needs, they often find themselves overwhelmed, overstretched and with little support or resources. TV personality James “JB” Brown has joined with AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) to bring awareness to and help assist caregivers.
As part of that partnership, the Tom Joyner Morning Show will give away an all-expenses paid trip to the 2013 Fantastic Voyage taking place from April 7-14. Listeners have been contributing their nomination essays this month and in December, AARP will announce a winner.
Data obtained by the AARP indicate that over 42 million Americans are caregivers. Of that number, many are drawn from the African-American community. 71% of African-American caretakers are women, although data shows men are increasingly joining the ranks as well.
AARP offers information for caregivers at their site, http://www.aarp.org/caregiversthat has information, online community and resources for those caring for a loved one. Included on the site is:
• The Take Care Blog(The latest news and information on caregiving)
• Ask the Experts(User-generated questions answered by health and other experts)
• Support Groups and Message Boards
• Medicare Interactive Tool (Find out what benefits your loved one may be entitled to from Medicare plans.)
• Telephone Support – AARP has a caregivers hotline available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET at 1-877-333-5885
Caregivers can also take advantage of AARP’s free guide “Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families.” It gives caregivers practical, easy to understand information about how to navigate the myriad challenges of caregiving. It also breaks down the simple steps a caregiver needs to take when it’s time to step in to assist a loved one:
Step 1: Start the Conversation
Step 2: Form Your Team
Step 3: Make a Plan
Step 4: Find Support
Step 5: Care for Yourself
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25