Although many African-Americans claim to have Native American roots through ancestry, historians have found that less than 10 percent of blacks have Native American ancestry. That breaks down to five percent of blacks who have one great-grandparent with Native American genes. In addition, 58 percent of black Americans have at least 12.5 percent white ancestry.
Blacks and Native Americans have mixed cultures since the late 18th century. Through slavery and wars, the two racial groups worked and lived together for centuries. Slaves would escape to find a home among the reservations. They learned the ways of the Indian culture. The Indian tribes would be a part of the Underground Railroad, sometimes providing refuge for slaves on their way to freedom.
Groups like the Black Seminoles were ‘Gullah’ people who escaped enslavement in South Carolina and Georgia and lived among the Seminole Indians in the South. Black women were among those that helped the link between the Indian tribes and African-Americans.
Race relations were similar to western culture among the other Native tribes. Whites encouraged many of the common tribes like the Cherokee, Choctaw and Chickasaws to have black slaves among them to introduce the western civilization to the Indian tribes in an effort to make them more manageable. Even though the slavery concept was introduced to the culture as a control tactic, there is controversy regarding the responsibility Native Americans may hold in history and their lack of recognition for their ancestors who owned black slaves.
As a result of a mixed culture that was a product of the forced institution of slavery, blacks with relatives who were enslaved by the Cherokee (a.k.a., the Black Cherokees or freedmen) have insisted on their rights as part of the Cherokee tribe, as it related to the 1866 Trail of Tears treaty. The treaty ensured special provisions to members of the Cherokee Tribe as reparations for their dangerous and deadly trail from the South to Oklahoma. Included in that trail were their slaves – ancestors of the Black Cherokees. The Cherokee Nation initially rejected the request of the Black Cherokees, denying their rights to any provisions offered through the government for the tribal group on the grounds that they did not have any Cherokee blood. After the request was taken to the Cherokee Supreme Court, the decision was first upheld then overturned and the Black Cherokees were granted tribal rights and provisions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30