Although many African-Americans claim to have Native American roots through ancestry, historians have found that less than 10 percent of blacks have Native American ancestry. That breaks down to five percent of blacks who have one great-grandparent with Native American genes. In addition, 58 percent of black Americans have at least 12.5 percent white ancestry.
Blacks and Native Americans have mixed cultures since the late 18th century. Through slavery and wars, the two racial groups worked and lived together for centuries. Slaves would escape to find a home among the reservations. They learned the ways of the Indian culture. The Indian tribes would be a part of the Underground Railroad, sometimes providing refuge for slaves on their way to freedom.
Groups like the Black Seminoles were ‘Gullah’ people who escaped enslavement in South Carolina and Georgia and lived among the Seminole Indians in the South. Black women were among those that helped the link between the Indian tribes and African-Americans.
Race relations were similar to western culture among the other Native tribes. Whites encouraged many of the common tribes like the Cherokee, Choctaw and Chickasaws to have black slaves among them to introduce the western civilization to the Indian tribes in an effort to make them more manageable. Even though the slavery concept was introduced to the culture as a control tactic, there is controversy regarding the responsibility Native Americans may hold in history and their lack of recognition for their ancestors who owned black slaves.
As a result of a mixed culture that was a product of the forced institution of slavery, blacks with relatives who were enslaved by the Cherokee (a.k.a., the Black Cherokees or freedmen) have insisted on their rights as part of the Cherokee tribe, as it related to the 1866 Trail of Tears treaty. The treaty ensured special provisions to members of the Cherokee Tribe as reparations for their dangerous and deadly trail from the South to Oklahoma. Included in that trail were their slaves – ancestors of the Black Cherokees. The Cherokee Nation initially rejected the request of the Black Cherokees, denying their rights to any provisions offered through the government for the tribal group on the grounds that they did not have any Cherokee blood. After the request was taken to the Cherokee Supreme Court, the decision was first upheld then overturned and the Black Cherokees were granted tribal rights and provisions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25