Elizabeth Keckley was a former slave in Washington D.C. who became close friends with First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln. She befriended the wives of prominent women in D.C. to build her business as a seamstress. Keckley worked in the White House for four years and wrote a memoir called Behind the Scenes: or Thirty Years a Slave and Four Years in the White House. Many people believed that she had broken the code of privacy by including intimate thoughts about the First Family in her novel.
Keckley was born in Dinwiddie, Virginia in 1818. She was of mixed-race and the identity of her father was finally revealed on her mother’s deathbed to be former slave master, Armistead Burwell. Keckely’s mother was a house slave, and her daughter was literate, though it was illegal in Virginia. As a young child she was forced to begin work at four years old. Her position in the house was nursemaid to one of the Burwell’s infants. Her age was not given consideration for any mistakes in her position; she was beat severely for accidentally tipping over the cradle of baby Elizabeth Margaret Burwell.
When she was a young teenager, Keckley was sent to live with the Burwell’s oldest son and his wife. The lady of the home resented Elizabeth’s presence and sent her to a neighbor to be ‘broken’ from her determined spirit to survive. Though the male neighbor tried twice to whip Keckley into submission, he failed and on the third attempt, asked for Keckley’s apology and vowed to never beat her again.
After working for Alexander Kirkland, who forced himself on Keckley and giving her a son named George, Elizabeth returned to the Burwell family and then moved she and her mother to St. Louis. After pleading for her freedom, she was finally given the $1,200 necessary to buy it from surrounding community friends. By the mid-1860’s she was able to get to Washington D.C. and work as a seamstress. She began to gain prominent clientele like Mrs. Robert E. Lee, who connected her with other socialites.
It was through the acceptance of a rush order, that Keckley was introduced to Mary Todd Lincoln. She was chosen from a pool of women interested in the job of modiste.
Keckley became the personal clothing designer of Mary Todd Lincoln. Her designs are seen in two portraits taken by the first lady. While working in the White House, Keckley became a Union activist, founding the Contraband Relief Association in August 1862. The name changed to the Ladies' Freedmen and Soldier's Relief Association two years later. She helped thousands of free blacks through her organization.
Keckley became a close friend of Mary Todd Lincoln, acquiring some of the President’s personal items after his assassination. She held onto Abraham Lincoln’s blood splattered clothing after his death.
When Keckley released Behind the Scenes, she was ridiculed by the white community as breaking a code of tact among them. Although her intention was to help a tattered image of Mary Todd Lincoln who had had emotional and financial trouble after he husband’s death, it backfired. It was also said that Robert Lincoln, the son of Mary and Abraham, interfered with the book’s sales. Her relationship with Mary Lincoln was broken permanently.
By 1892, Keckley worked in a faculty position at Wilberforce University as head of the Department of Sewing and Domestic Science Arts. She would continue her work as a seamstress. She later died at the destitute home in 1890 and was said to be depressed from the loss of her friendship with Mary Lincoln.
Elizabeth Keckley’s handiwork is held at the Smithsonian American History Museum. A quilt she made from fabric used on the dresses of Mary Lincoln is on display at Kent State Museum.
Gloria Reuben portrays Keckley’s life in the current film “Lincoln,” in theaters now.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31