Got a question about diabetes? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Every year as the holidays approach, we go one of two ways: We either vow to eat less, eat healthier and be more mindful of our choices; or we jokingly pronounce all holiday meals devoid of calories and fat and just tuck in everything that comes our way. After all, we can always use our New Year’s Resolutions to promise we’ll get back into shape, right?
Cardiologist Kota Reddy wants to remind us, especially this month, Diabetes Awareness Month, that changing a few habits will help us live healthier, happier and more productive lives without diabetes.
Reddy, founder of Reddy Cardiac Wellness and author of the book, “Eat This – Lose That,” contends that prevention is easier than treatment and that if people knew what to eat or not eat, along with a healthy, active lifestyle, reduces the risk of contracting diabetes.
That’s a recipe lots of people may be willing to follow.
After all, according to the American Diabetes Association (www.diabetes.org):
• 3.2 million, or 13.3 percent, of all African Americans aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
• African Americans are 1.8 times more likely to have diabetes as non-Hispanic whites.
• Twenty-five percent of African Americans between the ages of 65 and 74 have diabetes.
• One in four African American women over 55 years of age has diabetes.
Not only are black Americans more likely to have diabetes, but the complications from the disease strike disproportionately as well. Diabetes is the No. 1 cause of blindness, kidney disease and amputations for African Americans.
Last year, Reddy conducted a free study with 500 patients. During the study, he reported, group members successfully lost weight, reversed diabetes and no longer needed medication. Participants had an average weight loss of 25-50 pounds over 90 days.
The patients were given Reddy Bread, a recipe formulated by Reddy designed not to prevent participants’ sugar levels from rising. The pita-style bread contains soy flour and flaxseed, which contain polyunsaturated fats that help lower the total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, as well as omega 3 fatty acids that help protect the heart and reduces the levels of triglyceride in the bloodstream.
In October, Reddy saw a television news story out of Houston about a 550-pound man with a host of health challenges that left him unable to walk or exercise. He called the station and offered his assistance to the man.
Reddy has said dietary adjustments, fewer carbs and Reddy Bread would likely help the man lose up to 50 pounds in the first month of the program.
The Sugar Land, Texas cardiologist is scheduled to appear on the Tom Joyner Morning Show on Wednesday to share details about Reddy Bread, and his popular diet.
To contact Dr. Reddy, call publicist Elisabet Gonzalez-Barranco at 832-893-9256 or email the doctor at email@example.com.
Click here for answers to your diabetes questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25