Got a question about diabetes? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Every year as the holidays approach, we go one of two ways: We either vow to eat less, eat healthier and be more mindful of our choices; or we jokingly pronounce all holiday meals devoid of calories and fat and just tuck in everything that comes our way. After all, we can always use our New Year’s Resolutions to promise we’ll get back into shape, right?
Cardiologist Kota Reddy wants to remind us, especially this month, Diabetes Awareness Month, that changing a few habits will help us live healthier, happier and more productive lives without diabetes.
Reddy, founder of Reddy Cardiac Wellness and author of the book, “Eat This – Lose That,” contends that prevention is easier than treatment and that if people knew what to eat or not eat, along with a healthy, active lifestyle, reduces the risk of contracting diabetes.
That’s a recipe lots of people may be willing to follow.
After all, according to the American Diabetes Association (www.diabetes.org):
• 3.2 million, or 13.3 percent, of all African Americans aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
• African Americans are 1.8 times more likely to have diabetes as non-Hispanic whites.
• Twenty-five percent of African Americans between the ages of 65 and 74 have diabetes.
• One in four African American women over 55 years of age has diabetes.
Not only are black Americans more likely to have diabetes, but the complications from the disease strike disproportionately as well. Diabetes is the No. 1 cause of blindness, kidney disease and amputations for African Americans.
Last year, Reddy conducted a free study with 500 patients. During the study, he reported, group members successfully lost weight, reversed diabetes and no longer needed medication. Participants had an average weight loss of 25-50 pounds over 90 days.
The patients were given Reddy Bread, a recipe formulated by Reddy designed not to prevent participants’ sugar levels from rising. The pita-style bread contains soy flour and flaxseed, which contain polyunsaturated fats that help lower the total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, as well as omega 3 fatty acids that help protect the heart and reduces the levels of triglyceride in the bloodstream.
In October, Reddy saw a television news story out of Houston about a 550-pound man with a host of health challenges that left him unable to walk or exercise. He called the station and offered his assistance to the man.
Reddy has said dietary adjustments, fewer carbs and Reddy Bread would likely help the man lose up to 50 pounds in the first month of the program.
The Sugar Land, Texas cardiologist is scheduled to appear on the Tom Joyner Morning Show on Wednesday to share details about Reddy Bread, and his popular diet.
To contact Dr. Reddy, call publicist Elisabet Gonzalez-Barranco at 832-893-9256 or email the doctor at email@example.com.
Click here for answers to your diabetes questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25