Got a question about diabetes? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Every year as the holidays approach, we go one of two ways: We either vow to eat less, eat healthier and be more mindful of our choices; or we jokingly pronounce all holiday meals devoid of calories and fat and just tuck in everything that comes our way. After all, we can always use our New Year’s Resolutions to promise we’ll get back into shape, right?
Cardiologist Kota Reddy wants to remind us, especially this month, Diabetes Awareness Month, that changing a few habits will help us live healthier, happier and more productive lives without diabetes.
Reddy, founder of Reddy Cardiac Wellness and author of the book, “Eat This – Lose That,” contends that prevention is easier than treatment and that if people knew what to eat or not eat, along with a healthy, active lifestyle, reduces the risk of contracting diabetes.
That’s a recipe lots of people may be willing to follow.
After all, according to the American Diabetes Association (www.diabetes.org):
• 3.2 million, or 13.3 percent, of all African Americans aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
• African Americans are 1.8 times more likely to have diabetes as non-Hispanic whites.
• Twenty-five percent of African Americans between the ages of 65 and 74 have diabetes.
• One in four African American women over 55 years of age has diabetes.
Not only are black Americans more likely to have diabetes, but the complications from the disease strike disproportionately as well. Diabetes is the No. 1 cause of blindness, kidney disease and amputations for African Americans.
Last year, Reddy conducted a free study with 500 patients. During the study, he reported, group members successfully lost weight, reversed diabetes and no longer needed medication. Participants had an average weight loss of 25-50 pounds over 90 days.
The patients were given Reddy Bread, a recipe formulated by Reddy designed not to prevent participants’ sugar levels from rising. The pita-style bread contains soy flour and flaxseed, which contain polyunsaturated fats that help lower the total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, as well as omega 3 fatty acids that help protect the heart and reduces the levels of triglyceride in the bloodstream.
In October, Reddy saw a television news story out of Houston about a 550-pound man with a host of health challenges that left him unable to walk or exercise. He called the station and offered his assistance to the man.
Reddy has said dietary adjustments, fewer carbs and Reddy Bread would likely help the man lose up to 50 pounds in the first month of the program.
The Sugar Land, Texas cardiologist is scheduled to appear on the Tom Joyner Morning Show on Wednesday to share details about Reddy Bread, and his popular diet.
To contact Dr. Reddy, call publicist Elisabet Gonzalez-Barranco at 832-893-9256 or email the doctor at email@example.com.
Click here for answers to your diabetes questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30