25 years ago, Michael Jackson was “Bad.” The release of this album marked another creative and commercial height for the superstar artist, already in possession of the world’s top-selling album of all time with “Thriller.” On this project, Jackson would cement his icon status and again make music that wasn’t just popular; it became a part of the culture of the times. This Thursday on ABC at 9:30 p.m., director Spike Lee presents “Bad 25,” his take on the phenomenon that was Jackson through the window of this specific project. He explores Jackson’s impact on music as well as his often strange existence in the kind of fishbowl that few people can imagine.
But Lee’s focus is mainly on the music and Jackson’s creative genius. “People at the top of their fields make it look so easy," told USA Today. "You think Michael Jordan came out of the womb dunking, or Frank Sinatra was born with that voice. But it doesn't happen like that — these people bust their (butts). Michael Jackson sang for his supper from the time he was five."
Lee talks to many of Jackson’s contemporaries and musical peers as well as cultural critics who witnessed the Jackson phenomenon take place. Jackson’s one-time backup singer Sheryl Crow, Questlove of The Roots, Kanye West and director Martin Scorsese are shared their memories. Lee himself worked with Jackson on his videos/short films for the song “They Don’t Care About Us,” but admits he didn’t get to know the reclusive Jackson that well.
Two notable exceptions to the array of Jackson contemporaries and collaborators are Quincy Jones and Wesley Snipes. Jones is only seen in archival footage as he and Lee’s schedules just didn’t jibe, and although Lee visited Snipes in federal prison where he’s currently serving time on federal tax charges, he was not permitted to shoot. Of course, there is footage of Jackson himself and some insight into how he approached his art. Viewers of his concert preparation film “This Is It,” shot shortly before his untimely death, will remember its portrayal of Jackson as focused and exacting.
“Bad25” is over 2 hours in its original documentary version, though ABC viewers will see a shorter version. A DVD will be available in 2013. Watch a preview below.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.