25 years ago, Michael Jackson was “Bad.” The release of this album marked another creative and commercial height for the superstar artist, already in possession of the world’s top-selling album of all time with “Thriller.” On this project, Jackson would cement his icon status and again make music that wasn’t just popular; it became a part of the culture of the times. This Thursday on ABC at 9:30 p.m., director Spike Lee presents “Bad 25,” his take on the phenomenon that was Jackson through the window of this specific project. He explores Jackson’s impact on music as well as his often strange existence in the kind of fishbowl that few people can imagine.
But Lee’s focus is mainly on the music and Jackson’s creative genius. “People at the top of their fields make it look so easy," told USA Today. "You think Michael Jordan came out of the womb dunking, or Frank Sinatra was born with that voice. But it doesn't happen like that — these people bust their (butts). Michael Jackson sang for his supper from the time he was five."
Lee talks to many of Jackson’s contemporaries and musical peers as well as cultural critics who witnessed the Jackson phenomenon take place. Jackson’s one-time backup singer Sheryl Crow, Questlove of The Roots, Kanye West and director Martin Scorsese are shared their memories. Lee himself worked with Jackson on his videos/short films for the song “They Don’t Care About Us,” but admits he didn’t get to know the reclusive Jackson that well.
Two notable exceptions to the array of Jackson contemporaries and collaborators are Quincy Jones and Wesley Snipes. Jones is only seen in archival footage as he and Lee’s schedules just didn’t jibe, and although Lee visited Snipes in federal prison where he’s currently serving time on federal tax charges, he was not permitted to shoot. Of course, there is footage of Jackson himself and some insight into how he approached his art. Viewers of his concert preparation film “This Is It,” shot shortly before his untimely death, will remember its portrayal of Jackson as focused and exacting.
“Bad25” is over 2 hours in its original documentary version, though ABC viewers will see a shorter version. A DVD will be available in 2013. Watch a preview below.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell