25 years ago, Michael Jackson was “Bad.” The release of this album marked another creative and commercial height for the superstar artist, already in possession of the world’s top-selling album of all time with “Thriller.” On this project, Jackson would cement his icon status and again make music that wasn’t just popular; it became a part of the culture of the times. This Thursday on ABC at 9:30 p.m., director Spike Lee presents “Bad 25,” his take on the phenomenon that was Jackson through the window of this specific project. He explores Jackson’s impact on music as well as his often strange existence in the kind of fishbowl that few people can imagine.
But Lee’s focus is mainly on the music and Jackson’s creative genius. “People at the top of their fields make it look so easy," told USA Today. "You think Michael Jordan came out of the womb dunking, or Frank Sinatra was born with that voice. But it doesn't happen like that — these people bust their (butts). Michael Jackson sang for his supper from the time he was five."
Lee talks to many of Jackson’s contemporaries and musical peers as well as cultural critics who witnessed the Jackson phenomenon take place. Jackson’s one-time backup singer Sheryl Crow, Questlove of The Roots, Kanye West and director Martin Scorsese are shared their memories. Lee himself worked with Jackson on his videos/short films for the song “They Don’t Care About Us,” but admits he didn’t get to know the reclusive Jackson that well.
Two notable exceptions to the array of Jackson contemporaries and collaborators are Quincy Jones and Wesley Snipes. Jones is only seen in archival footage as he and Lee’s schedules just didn’t jibe, and although Lee visited Snipes in federal prison where he’s currently serving time on federal tax charges, he was not permitted to shoot. Of course, there is footage of Jackson himself and some insight into how he approached his art. Viewers of his concert preparation film “This Is It,” shot shortly before his untimely death, will remember its portrayal of Jackson as focused and exacting.
“Bad25” is over 2 hours in its original documentary version, though ABC viewers will see a shorter version. A DVD will be available in 2013. Watch a preview below.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!