We all have those moments when we forget something basic, like a phone number we’ve called dozens of times, a word or a phrase that’s on the tip of our tongues, where we put the keys or if we’ve remembered to turn off the iron or the coffee pot.
We talk about “senior moments” when we lose our thoughts or joke with friends that we’ve come down with CRS (Can’t Remember ….well, you know).
But when are momentary memory lapses signs of something more?
The Alzheimer’s Association says that memory loss that disrupts daily life could be a sign of something serious and provides a list of 10 signs that should be investigated.
Typically, if you forget a name or some information but recall it later, it may be age-related memory loss. But if someone in your family is forgetting recently learned information, asking repeatedly for the same information or relying on family members for things he used to handle himsel it may be worth getting tested.
Other signs include changing the way a person solves a problem or difficulty in doing routine things, such as bill paying or difficulty in performing routine tasks such as driving to the store or the rules of a favorite game. Difficulty reading or problems judging distance or color contrasts, decreasing judgment, an inability to retrace one’s steps, problems speaking – calling things by the wrong name or being unable to complete a thought – changes in mood or personality or a withdrawal from favorite activities and social settings can all be indicators of Alzheimer’s.
According to the Alzheimer’s Association, Alzheimer’s is the sixth-leading cause of death nationwide and the only cause of death among the top 10 that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed. From 2000-2008, death rates declined for most major diseases, but rose 66 percent during the same period for deaths from Alzheimer’s disease.
There is some evidence, however, that keeping strong social connections and physical diet and exercise can have a positive impact on the brain, including heart-healthy eating habits, such as eating less red meat and ingesting whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fish, shellfish, nuts, olive oils and other healthy fats.
“Some evidence suggests exercise may directly benefit brain cells by increasing blood and oxygen flow,” according to the association’s website.
“Even stronger evidence suggests exercise may protect brain health through its proven benefits to the cardiovascular system. Because of the known cardiovascular benefits, a medically-approved exercise program is a valuable part of any overall wellness plan.”
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the signs, please see a doctor. Early diagnosis gives you a chance to seek treatment and plan for the future. If you have questions, call: 877.877-IS IT ALZ (877.474.8259).
Visit the Alzheimer ‘s Association website for the 10 early signs and symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31