We all have those moments when we forget something basic, like a phone number we’ve called dozens of times, a word or a phrase that’s on the tip of our tongues, where we put the keys or if we’ve remembered to turn off the iron or the coffee pot.
We talk about “senior moments” when we lose our thoughts or joke with friends that we’ve come down with CRS (Can’t Remember ….well, you know).
But when are momentary memory lapses signs of something more?
The Alzheimer’s Association says that memory loss that disrupts daily life could be a sign of something serious and provides a list of 10 signs that should be investigated.
Typically, if you forget a name or some information but recall it later, it may be age-related memory loss. But if someone in your family is forgetting recently learned information, asking repeatedly for the same information or relying on family members for things he used to handle himsel it may be worth getting tested.
Other signs include changing the way a person solves a problem or difficulty in doing routine things, such as bill paying or difficulty in performing routine tasks such as driving to the store or the rules of a favorite game. Difficulty reading or problems judging distance or color contrasts, decreasing judgment, an inability to retrace one’s steps, problems speaking – calling things by the wrong name or being unable to complete a thought – changes in mood or personality or a withdrawal from favorite activities and social settings can all be indicators of Alzheimer’s.
According to the Alzheimer’s Association, Alzheimer’s is the sixth-leading cause of death nationwide and the only cause of death among the top 10 that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed. From 2000-2008, death rates declined for most major diseases, but rose 66 percent during the same period for deaths from Alzheimer’s disease.
There is some evidence, however, that keeping strong social connections and physical diet and exercise can have a positive impact on the brain, including heart-healthy eating habits, such as eating less red meat and ingesting whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fish, shellfish, nuts, olive oils and other healthy fats.
“Some evidence suggests exercise may directly benefit brain cells by increasing blood and oxygen flow,” according to the association’s website.
“Even stronger evidence suggests exercise may protect brain health through its proven benefits to the cardiovascular system. Because of the known cardiovascular benefits, a medically-approved exercise program is a valuable part of any overall wellness plan.”
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the signs, please see a doctor. Early diagnosis gives you a chance to seek treatment and plan for the future. If you have questions, call: 877.877-IS IT ALZ (877.474.8259).
Visit the Alzheimer ‘s Association website for the 10 early signs and symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25