As you know, actress Maia Campbell is scheduled to appear on a special segment of Iyanla Vanzant’s popular “Fix My Life” series, called “Fix My Celebrity Life” The Priestess herself, was here yesterday to talk about it.
Campbell was the star of the popular ‘90s sitcom, “In The House.”
The last time most of us heard or saw Campbell, it was not good at all. About three years ago she was in the news for a viral video that caught her behaving bizarrely, amidst rumors of drug abuse and prostitution.
It should be a fascinating show, and I certainly hope and pray she has moved beyond her troubles to reclaim her life.
That said, I want you to notice what I did not say. I purposely did not say I “hope and pray Campbell has moved beyond her troubles to reclaim her career or celebrity.”
It’s not that I wouldn’t want her to; it’s just that fixing a “celebrity” is a business concern but fixing a life is a vastly more important and pressing human concern.
If Campbell doesn’t have her life together, then resurrecting her career may be the wrong thing to do, especially if her career played a role in bringing about her troubles in the first place.
Of course, Iyanla knows this better than anyone through both personal and professional experience, so Campbell is in very good hands. This looks like it may well be a positive use of media.
And since I so often talk about the role of media, I also question what the motivation is for people to tune in and watch episodes like this. While I hope it will be a transformative experience for Campbell, and for others, it is often human nature to want to see just how bad a train wreck is or was.
Unfortunately, many folks will be tuning in for all of the wrong reasons.
At the same time, I hope and pray Campbell is appearing on the show for the right reasons. Is she serious about getting her life on track or is she merely missing those sizable Hollywood paydays and trying to capitalize on her tragic fall?
Well, thankfully, Iyanla noted yesterday that Campbell has been sober for two years and being treated for her bipolar disorder. Still, I thought that I should raise these questions because we should be reminded that with all the hoopla of some of these media circuses, there can be real lives at stake.
And one way of helping to prevent the media from abusing its subjects is to question your own participation in the process to ensure you are not just tuning in to watch the wreck.
The episode airs on OWN this Saturday night. Best wishes to Campbell and to Iyanla and I hope they can salvage a life.
I’ll close with these words from Indonesian sci-fi author, Toba Beta:
“I don’t buy the idea of second chances. With hope, we make a lot of chances.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31