As you know, actress Maia Campbell is scheduled to appear on a special segment of Iyanla Vanzant’s popular “Fix My Life” series, called “Fix My Celebrity Life” The Priestess herself, was here yesterday to talk about it.
Campbell was the star of the popular ‘90s sitcom, “In The House.”
The last time most of us heard or saw Campbell, it was not good at all. About three years ago she was in the news for a viral video that caught her behaving bizarrely, amidst rumors of drug abuse and prostitution.
It should be a fascinating show, and I certainly hope and pray she has moved beyond her troubles to reclaim her life.
That said, I want you to notice what I did not say. I purposely did not say I “hope and pray Campbell has moved beyond her troubles to reclaim her career or celebrity.”
It’s not that I wouldn’t want her to; it’s just that fixing a “celebrity” is a business concern but fixing a life is a vastly more important and pressing human concern.
If Campbell doesn’t have her life together, then resurrecting her career may be the wrong thing to do, especially if her career played a role in bringing about her troubles in the first place.
Of course, Iyanla knows this better than anyone through both personal and professional experience, so Campbell is in very good hands. This looks like it may well be a positive use of media.
And since I so often talk about the role of media, I also question what the motivation is for people to tune in and watch episodes like this. While I hope it will be a transformative experience for Campbell, and for others, it is often human nature to want to see just how bad a train wreck is or was.
Unfortunately, many folks will be tuning in for all of the wrong reasons.
At the same time, I hope and pray Campbell is appearing on the show for the right reasons. Is she serious about getting her life on track or is she merely missing those sizable Hollywood paydays and trying to capitalize on her tragic fall?
Well, thankfully, Iyanla noted yesterday that Campbell has been sober for two years and being treated for her bipolar disorder. Still, I thought that I should raise these questions because we should be reminded that with all the hoopla of some of these media circuses, there can be real lives at stake.
And one way of helping to prevent the media from abusing its subjects is to question your own participation in the process to ensure you are not just tuning in to watch the wreck.
The episode airs on OWN this Saturday night. Best wishes to Campbell and to Iyanla and I hope they can salvage a life.
I’ll close with these words from Indonesian sci-fi author, Toba Beta:
“I don’t buy the idea of second chances. With hope, we make a lot of chances.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30