As you know, actress Maia Campbell is scheduled to appear on a special segment of Iyanla Vanzant’s popular “Fix My Life” series, called “Fix My Celebrity Life” The Priestess herself, was here yesterday to talk about it.
Campbell was the star of the popular ‘90s sitcom, “In The House.”
The last time most of us heard or saw Campbell, it was not good at all. About three years ago she was in the news for a viral video that caught her behaving bizarrely, amidst rumors of drug abuse and prostitution.
It should be a fascinating show, and I certainly hope and pray she has moved beyond her troubles to reclaim her life.
That said, I want you to notice what I did not say. I purposely did not say I “hope and pray Campbell has moved beyond her troubles to reclaim her career or celebrity.”
It’s not that I wouldn’t want her to; it’s just that fixing a “celebrity” is a business concern but fixing a life is a vastly more important and pressing human concern.
If Campbell doesn’t have her life together, then resurrecting her career may be the wrong thing to do, especially if her career played a role in bringing about her troubles in the first place.
Of course, Iyanla knows this better than anyone through both personal and professional experience, so Campbell is in very good hands. This looks like it may well be a positive use of media.
And since I so often talk about the role of media, I also question what the motivation is for people to tune in and watch episodes like this. While I hope it will be a transformative experience for Campbell, and for others, it is often human nature to want to see just how bad a train wreck is or was.
Unfortunately, many folks will be tuning in for all of the wrong reasons.
At the same time, I hope and pray Campbell is appearing on the show for the right reasons. Is she serious about getting her life on track or is she merely missing those sizable Hollywood paydays and trying to capitalize on her tragic fall?
Well, thankfully, Iyanla noted yesterday that Campbell has been sober for two years and being treated for her bipolar disorder. Still, I thought that I should raise these questions because we should be reminded that with all the hoopla of some of these media circuses, there can be real lives at stake.
And one way of helping to prevent the media from abusing its subjects is to question your own participation in the process to ensure you are not just tuning in to watch the wreck.
The episode airs on OWN this Saturday night. Best wishes to Campbell and to Iyanla and I hope they can salvage a life.
I’ll close with these words from Indonesian sci-fi author, Toba Beta:
“I don’t buy the idea of second chances. With hope, we make a lot of chances.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25