Who do you get to honor Eddie Murphy? Well, of course you get as many funny people as you can find. On the Spike TV tribute “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only” airing Wednesday November 14 at 10 p.m., the 51-year-old comic is saluted by his brother Charlie, Martin Lawrence, Russell Brand, Arsenio Hall, Brett Ratner, Tracy Morgan, Chris Rock, Samuel L. Jackson, Jamie Foxx and Stevie Wonder in a two-hour retrospective of Murphy’s greatest comic hits.
Most of Murphy’s career – from his standup classics like “Delirious” and “Raw” to his time on “Saturday Night Live” to a film career that includes the “Beverly Hills Cop” movies, “The Nutty Professor” movies, the “48 Hours” movies and more is featured. The focus is on the positive, though, as Murphy’s biggest bombs and his warm and fuzzier kids’ movies are glossed over if not excluded from the tribute outright. The all-star group of comedians drew big laughs from Murphy himself by sharing anecdotes of times with Murphy. Rock got a particularly big response by recounting the story of a night out in New York with Murphy and his entourage when Rock was still on the rise.
Murphy is also remembered as the catalyst for launching several big stars including Jackson who began his film career in 1998 in “Coming to America.” While Halle Berry wasn’t there, Murphy’s 1992 “Boomerang” which also featured Robin Givens and Eartha Kitt was one of the films that made her a big name. Martin Lawrence’s early career was boosted by his appearance in “Boomerang” and he later starred in “Life” with Murphy.
But if you thought this would be an opportunity to see Murphy do some impromptu standup again, it didn’t happen despite Hall’s best efforts. Murphy said he’d put that aside a long time ago. On his part, he was grateful for the tribute but also seemed a little embarrassed by it. When he got on state to acknowledge the attention paid to his accomplishments, he was grateful but humble.
“You know what this is like? You ever have somebody sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to you, but for like two hours? ‘Eddie, you’re so wonderful. Eddie, Eddie, Eddie.’ I am Eddie-d out. I don’t know how you all must feel.’”
Watch clips from “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only” below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31