Blame it on Mary J. Blige or Beyonce, two of the most successful blondes in music. For some current artists it seems like having a good colorist on hand is as important as the ability to hit high notes. All of a sudden, there’s a host of female singers who don’t just want to earn platinum status, they dye platinum as well. Here’s our list of the blondes that should be getting as much space on your iPod as they spend time in a hairdresser’s chair.
Canadian chanteuse Melanie Fiona hit it big with “It Kills Me” off of her 2009 debut “The Bridge,” and has risen to greater heights with her sophomore release “The MF Life.” Her debut with Cee-Lo, “Fool For Love” has been a radio staple since it dropped and she’s just come out with her latest single “Wrong Side of a Love Song.” The Toronto native started out with a full head of dark hair, but has been seen working the two-tone blonde look as of late. She may not be able to decide on a hair color, but she can definitely pick hits. iPod worthy: “It Kills Me,” “Give It To Me Right” “Fool For Love.” Watch “Wrong Side of a Love Song” (live) here:
The 25-year Scot is the new chick of choice for those who like their music multi-genre with a tinge of alternative. Her debut CD “Our Version of Events” quickly launched her into superstardom with the singles “Heaven” and “Daddy.” Even before its release, she was named the Brit Awards Critics Choice for 2012. If you didn’t already know who she was, this year’s Olympic Games from London gave her plenty of exposure as she performed at both the opening and closing ceremonies. The singer/songwriter of British and African descent has also written for acts like U.K. rapper Tinie Tempeh, Leona Lewis, Susan Boyle and Alesha Dixon. iPod worthy: “Heaven,” “Next To Me.” Watch “Next to Me” here.
The U.K. version of Rihanna is not only using her old hair dye bottle, she’s doing the same kind of uptempo hits that brought the Bajan singer platinum success. But although Ora’s obviously been compared to the formerly blonde superstar and is also managed by Roc Nation, she’s making her own name with her out of the box U.K. hits “How We Do (Party)” and “R.I.P.” Her first CD “Ora” released in Britain in August debuted at #1 on the U.K. album charts. Although she was raised in London, Ora was born in Kosovo or what used to be Yugoslavia. Despite all the Rihanna comparisons, Ora says Gwen Stefani is her greatest influence. iPod worthy: R.I.P. (with Tinie Tempeh), “How We Do (Party)”
You may already know Chrisette Michele from her previous releases, but the New York-born singer has changed up her look lately going natural and blonde. Her jazz-influenced style has netted her some enthusiastic fans but Michele is still trying to create a higher profile career. Her last album was 2010’s “Let Freedom Reign.” Her latest is “Audrey Hepburn Mixtape: An Audiovisual Presentation” out December 8th. Check out the video for her new single “Charades” here and her track with Wale “Rich Hipster” here. Ipod worthy: Her first CD “I Am.”
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!