Blame it on Mary J. Blige or Beyonce, two of the most successful blondes in music. For some current artists it seems like having a good colorist on hand is as important as the ability to hit high notes. All of a sudden, there’s a host of female singers who don’t just want to earn platinum status, they dye platinum as well. Here’s our list of the blondes that should be getting as much space on your iPod as they spend time in a hairdresser’s chair.
Canadian chanteuse Melanie Fiona hit it big with “It Kills Me” off of her 2009 debut “The Bridge,” and has risen to greater heights with her sophomore release “The MF Life.” Her debut with Cee-Lo, “Fool For Love” has been a radio staple since it dropped and she’s just come out with her latest single “Wrong Side of a Love Song.” The Toronto native started out with a full head of dark hair, but has been seen working the two-tone blonde look as of late. She may not be able to decide on a hair color, but she can definitely pick hits. iPod worthy: “It Kills Me,” “Give It To Me Right” “Fool For Love.” Watch “Wrong Side of a Love Song” (live) here:
The 25-year Scot is the new chick of choice for those who like their music multi-genre with a tinge of alternative. Her debut CD “Our Version of Events” quickly launched her into superstardom with the singles “Heaven” and “Daddy.” Even before its release, she was named the Brit Awards Critics Choice for 2012. If you didn’t already know who she was, this year’s Olympic Games from London gave her plenty of exposure as she performed at both the opening and closing ceremonies. The singer/songwriter of British and African descent has also written for acts like U.K. rapper Tinie Tempeh, Leona Lewis, Susan Boyle and Alesha Dixon. iPod worthy: “Heaven,” “Next To Me.” Watch “Next to Me” here.
The U.K. version of Rihanna is not only using her old hair dye bottle, she’s doing the same kind of uptempo hits that brought the Bajan singer platinum success. But although Ora’s obviously been compared to the formerly blonde superstar and is also managed by Roc Nation, she’s making her own name with her out of the box U.K. hits “How We Do (Party)” and “R.I.P.” Her first CD “Ora” released in Britain in August debuted at #1 on the U.K. album charts. Although she was raised in London, Ora was born in Kosovo or what used to be Yugoslavia. Despite all the Rihanna comparisons, Ora says Gwen Stefani is her greatest influence. iPod worthy: R.I.P. (with Tinie Tempeh), “How We Do (Party)”
You may already know Chrisette Michele from her previous releases, but the New York-born singer has changed up her look lately going natural and blonde. Her jazz-influenced style has netted her some enthusiastic fans but Michele is still trying to create a higher profile career. Her last album was 2010’s “Let Freedom Reign.” Her latest is “Audrey Hepburn Mixtape: An Audiovisual Presentation” out December 8th. Check out the video for her new single “Charades” here and her track with Wale “Rich Hipster” here. Ipod worthy: Her first CD “I Am.”
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.