The International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters (I.A.B.P.F.F.) was organized on October 3, 1970 in Hartford, Connecticut. The organization has over 5,000 members of fire personnel. It was designed to help recruit young black firefighters, build a connection with the community and improve fire prevention.
Through its existence, the group honors the firefighters who made it possible for blacks to wear the uniform. The rich history of black fire fighters in America dates as far back as 1817. The first on record were the slaves and freed slaves of the New Orleans fire department who were called to duty in the midst of a massive fire. Only a year later, Molly Williams became the first female fire fighter in New York.
They also celebrate the legacy of the early fire fighters in Charleston, South Carolina, who worked for no pay in 1818. The black men were segregated and treated unfairly by the white firemen on the job. Payment for the fire fighters was dependent upon first response, which was usually reserved for the white firefighters.
To keep the flame of black history among fire fighters burning, the I.A.B.P.F.F. keeps the memories alive at the Black Fire Fighters Museum in Los Angeles. At the museum the story of black firemen, like those of Engine 21 in Chicago, are immortalized. They were the first to build the slide pole for faster movement during an emergency. The first firehouse pole was built of wood before eventually being replaced with brass.
The International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters is under President James Hill. He and the other members work hard to give distinction to the black fire fighters in America. The group has 90 chapters and represents over 5,000 fire service personnel and 200 lifetime members.
There are currently five African-American women who serve as department chiefs across the country; Rosemary Cloud (East Point, GA), Tony Colbert (Decatur, GA), Theresa Reed (Oakland, CA), Theresa Everett (Gary, IN), Deborah Pryor (Berkley, CA).
For more information on the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters, go to www.iabpf.org.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25