Thanksgiving is right around the corner and for a lot of people that means family and turkey. But for others it means just one thing…shopping.
Yes. Shoppers go CRAZY for Black Friday—seeking the uber-hyped deals the day after Thanksgiving—with some people even camping out overnight to be the first shoppers in the store the next day. This is NOT a productive way to spend Thanksgiving night. And as much as you might actually like a break from Cousin Irene, I’m here to tell you that Black Friday is an urban legend. It’s a complete myth. A lot of the sale merchandise has actually already been on sale for even less at another time in the year.
If you’re making a big purchase, it’s important to do your homework if you really want the best price. When it comes to toys, the deepest discounts will be just before Christmas. It’s the opposite if you’re after a particularly hot toy—in that case, your best bet is to buy it right this instant before supplies run lower, driving the price up. If you’re on the market for a new HDTV, the best prices are generally between December and February.
Another thing to remember is that you shouldn’t kill yourself thinking this is the only way you can find good prices. Best Buy and Target have Black Friday price matching programs in place, and Amazon.com is an online retailer who will also lower their prices to match a Black Friday deal.
While it’s true that some retailers do offer the deepest discounts on popular items on Black Friday, the inventory is often low, so your odds of scoring are slim. These “doorbuster deals” are a ploy for retailers to get you in the store with hopes that you’ll purchase other items that may not be on sale.
What about “Cyber Monday?”
Online shopping has changed the entire landscape of retail. A lot of shoppers decide to bypass Black Friday in favor of Cyber Monday, when retailers offer online deals. While you might see some special offers online, it’s best not to wait for Cyber Monday. The most popular merchandise will likely have sold out by then. By all means, avoid the crowds and shop online—one study found that 70% of in-store Black Friday deals were also available online for the same price or even less—but don’t wait until Monday to do it. Online deals are pretty much a 24/7 business, with retailers offering all sorts of flash sales and special discounts all through the year. In addition, the savvy shopper can subscribe to blogs and use apps to compare prices and get the very best deals. So maybe it’s best just to let yourself relax and digest Thanksgiving dinner this Black Friday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25