The strong showing from blacks and Hispanics at the polls on Tuesday that helped re-elect President Barack Obama and boosted several Democrats into office across the country will force the Republican Party to change its strategy in the future, says Dr. David Bositis of the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.
“This was not simply a re-election, but 2012 will be the last campaign where one of the major parties seeks to get elected, solely with the white vote,” Bositis said during a briefing today on the Role of African American voters. “A successful political movement will have to appeal to a broader swath other than non-Hispanic white people.”
The 2012 election was a clear showing that America is now multi-racial, multi ethnic country, he said.
According to the Joint Center, when Democrat John Kerry faced George W. Bush in 2004, 79 percent of American electorate was non-Hispanic white. By 2008, that percentage had dropped to 74 and this year, it was 72 percent.
At the same time, the share of African American voters and the share of Hispanic voters increased.
The share of African American voters has grown from 11 to 13 percent, while the share of Hispanic voters has grown from 6 to 10 percent, Bositis said.
The success of President Obama on Tuesday, especially in swing states, can be directly attributed to strong black voter registration and turnout at the polls, Bositis said.
President Obama won Ohio, one of the hard fought battlegrounds in 2012, by 2 percentage points. In that state, the share of black voters between 2008 and 2012 went from 11 to 15 percent, and 97 percent of all black voters in Ohio voted for Obama, according to exit reports, Bositis said. “That’s very impressive,” he said.
The Michigan voter turnout among blacks was also impressive, according to Bositis’ analysis.
In Michigan, blacks accounted for a 12 percent share of the vote in 2008, and in Tuesday election, blacks accounted for 16 percent of the voters, according to the Joint Center.
The African American share of Tuesday voters in North Carolina and Florida was the same as 2008, but that point was also significant, given the fact that the number white, mostly Republican voters increased in those states in record numbers, Bositis said.
In North Carolina, blacks accounted for 23 percent of the voters and in Florida black voters accounted for 13 percent. That means that the increases among black voters remained consistent with others, Bositis said.
Overall, Romney defeated President Obama when it came to white voters — 59 percent to 39 percent, Bositis said.
“In the past, having only 39 percent of the white vote would have been catastrophic for candidate in the United States,” Bositis said. “The African American vote made the difference.”
The large turnout of black voters also boosted Democrats in other key races across the country, Bositis said.
This was a record year for black candidates running for federal office, with 59 Democrat nominees and 13 Republican nominees. That total of 72 is the highest ever, and ensures that there will be several new members in the Congressional Black Caucus.
In New Jersey, Donald Payne Jr., will be replacing his father. Ohio will send a second African American female to House of Representatives – Joyce Beatty.
Voters in Nevada elected Democrat Steve Hereford and in Texas, Marc Veasey was elected and will be the fourth African American serving as U.S. representative from that state.
One African American representative, conservative Republican Allen West of Florida, seems to be at risk of losing a spot in the House.
West ran a different district this time, and unofficial vote totals have him trailing Democrat Patrick Murphy in District 18.
“A lot of the voters in that went to the polls in support of President Obama, and I don’t think voters who were voting for President Obama would be voting for Allen West,” Bositis said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30