So, this whole Lance Armstrong alleged doping scandal that’s been in the news for quite some time now has, once again, put the spotlight back on the world of sports and an unfortunate culture of cheating.
I want to talk about this for a couple of reasons. First, an incredible sister, pioneer and Olympian died 18 years ago this week at the far-too young age of 54.
She was a sickly child whose left leg was deformed by polio, and who doctors said would never walk normally. Not only did she heal and walk, but Wilma Rudolph went on to run faster than any other and, in the 1960 Olympics, became the first American woman to win 3 gold medals and she didn’t have to cheat to do it.
Second, I bring it up because of the recent and stunning news coming out of Florida regarding this undercover investigation into an alleged betting pool involving a South Florida youth football league called “Operation Dirty Play.”
According to an undercover officer, coaches are alleged to have either placed bets on their players or paid them performance or recruitment bonuses.
And get this: some of the players involved are as young as 9 years-old.
The Broward Organized Crime Task Force has video showing two coaches from opposing teams collecting cash from bets, and the group’s suspected leader–a coach with nine previous felonies and prison time (what the heck is he doing coaching Pee-Wee football???)–organized combined bets for over $100,000 on games, authorities say.
Now guys, I know we live in an era where many of our sports heroes and teams have taken the low road with steroids, cheating, betting, and placing bounties on each other’s heads, but when it gets to the point where folks are profiting from Pee-Wee Football, I think it’s fair to say we’re bottoming out.
I mean, what does it say about us as a society? (and yes, in case you guys are wondering, all of the folks involved are, sadly, from our community)
Remember, along with the moral and emotional impact on all of the children involved in this league, some of these children were actually coached to participate in the fixing of these games.
This culture of cheating is out of control…and, of course, it’s not just limited to the world of sports –it’s prevalent in our political system, our educational system, our media and many other areas of life.
And to tell the truth, I’d be cheating you if I said there were easy answers to solving this widespread problem.
But, I will say this: We need to remind our children that while we all like to win–and winning is an important goal–what matters is how you win.
As a society, we’ve got to do better by our children because by raising them in a cheating culture, we’re not only cheating them. We’re cheating our future.
I’ll end with this timeless quote from Sophocles:
“I would prefer even to fail with honor than win by cheating.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25