So, this whole Lance Armstrong alleged doping scandal that’s been in the news for quite some time now has, once again, put the spotlight back on the world of sports and an unfortunate culture of cheating.
I want to talk about this for a couple of reasons. First, an incredible sister, pioneer and Olympian died 18 years ago this week at the far-too young age of 54.
She was a sickly child whose left leg was deformed by polio, and who doctors said would never walk normally. Not only did she heal and walk, but Wilma Rudolph went on to run faster than any other and, in the 1960 Olympics, became the first American woman to win 3 gold medals and she didn’t have to cheat to do it.
Second, I bring it up because of the recent and stunning news coming out of Florida regarding this undercover investigation into an alleged betting pool involving a South Florida youth football league called “Operation Dirty Play.”
According to an undercover officer, coaches are alleged to have either placed bets on their players or paid them performance or recruitment bonuses.
And get this: some of the players involved are as young as 9 years-old.
The Broward Organized Crime Task Force has video showing two coaches from opposing teams collecting cash from bets, and the group’s suspected leader–a coach with nine previous felonies and prison time (what the heck is he doing coaching Pee-Wee football???)–organized combined bets for over $100,000 on games, authorities say.
Now guys, I know we live in an era where many of our sports heroes and teams have taken the low road with steroids, cheating, betting, and placing bounties on each other’s heads, but when it gets to the point where folks are profiting from Pee-Wee Football, I think it’s fair to say we’re bottoming out.
I mean, what does it say about us as a society? (and yes, in case you guys are wondering, all of the folks involved are, sadly, from our community)
Remember, along with the moral and emotional impact on all of the children involved in this league, some of these children were actually coached to participate in the fixing of these games.
This culture of cheating is out of control…and, of course, it’s not just limited to the world of sports –it’s prevalent in our political system, our educational system, our media and many other areas of life.
And to tell the truth, I’d be cheating you if I said there were easy answers to solving this widespread problem.
But, I will say this: We need to remind our children that while we all like to win–and winning is an important goal–what matters is how you win.
As a society, we’ve got to do better by our children because by raising them in a cheating culture, we’re not only cheating them. We’re cheating our future.
I’ll end with this timeless quote from Sophocles:
“I would prefer even to fail with honor than win by cheating.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30