So, this whole Lance Armstrong alleged doping scandal that’s been in the news for quite some time now has, once again, put the spotlight back on the world of sports and an unfortunate culture of cheating.
I want to talk about this for a couple of reasons. First, an incredible sister, pioneer and Olympian died 18 years ago this week at the far-too young age of 54.
She was a sickly child whose left leg was deformed by polio, and who doctors said would never walk normally. Not only did she heal and walk, but Wilma Rudolph went on to run faster than any other and, in the 1960 Olympics, became the first American woman to win 3 gold medals and she didn’t have to cheat to do it.
Second, I bring it up because of the recent and stunning news coming out of Florida regarding this undercover investigation into an alleged betting pool involving a South Florida youth football league called “Operation Dirty Play.”
According to an undercover officer, coaches are alleged to have either placed bets on their players or paid them performance or recruitment bonuses.
And get this: some of the players involved are as young as 9 years-old.
The Broward Organized Crime Task Force has video showing two coaches from opposing teams collecting cash from bets, and the group’s suspected leader–a coach with nine previous felonies and prison time (what the heck is he doing coaching Pee-Wee football???)–organized combined bets for over $100,000 on games, authorities say.
Now guys, I know we live in an era where many of our sports heroes and teams have taken the low road with steroids, cheating, betting, and placing bounties on each other’s heads, but when it gets to the point where folks are profiting from Pee-Wee Football, I think it’s fair to say we’re bottoming out.
I mean, what does it say about us as a society? (and yes, in case you guys are wondering, all of the folks involved are, sadly, from our community)
Remember, along with the moral and emotional impact on all of the children involved in this league, some of these children were actually coached to participate in the fixing of these games.
This culture of cheating is out of control…and, of course, it’s not just limited to the world of sports –it’s prevalent in our political system, our educational system, our media and many other areas of life.
And to tell the truth, I’d be cheating you if I said there were easy answers to solving this widespread problem.
But, I will say this: We need to remind our children that while we all like to win–and winning is an important goal–what matters is how you win.
As a society, we’ve got to do better by our children because by raising them in a cheating culture, we’re not only cheating them. We’re cheating our future.
I’ll end with this timeless quote from Sophocles:
“I would prefer even to fail with honor than win by cheating.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25