A lifelong resident of Long Beach, California, Beverly Broadus-Green has been a lot of things to a lot of people. She spent 42 years as a church choir director, was the loving wife of Howard Green before his death in 2005, and earned a living as a head chef before her retirement. Her specialty dish is cheese and macaroni (not the other way around), because that’s what her four sons and six grandchildren never seem to get enough of, especially her son Cordozar Calvin Broadus, better known as Snoop Dogg. But after years of serving so many people, on Easter Sunday 2005 Broadus-Green accepted her true calling to serve the Lord. Now she’s an ordained evangelist who travels the country doing her part to build the Kingdom of God. Her primary passion is helping battered women.
“I’m blessed with the discernment to pick up on abusive relationships,” said Broadus-Green, adding that helping women and girls is a way for her to help others avoid some of the issues she endured in past relationships. When her children were younger, Broadus-Green’s home was the ‘open house’ of the neighborhood. She spent a lot of time trying to keep her sons – and other young men – out of gangs and away from drugs.
That’s why her latest project, YouthBloc.com,is so important.YouthBloc.com is a non-profit 501-c3 designed to teach young people how to start successful businesses, solve problems and apply for business loans. Broadus-Green said it’s not enough to tell youth just to say no to drugs and gangs, “they have to have something to say ‘yes’ to and focus on,” she said. Her partner, Marvin Fredlaw says YouthBloc.com is a much needed program in urban areas because public schools do little to teach students how to become entrepreneurs.
“In this economy, [starting your own] business instead of depending on a job is important,” said Fredlaw. Broadus-Green and Fredlaw encourage parents to partner with their children to bring their entrepreneurial dreams to reality. For young people who already have a viable business, YouthBloc.com will promote their service or product through its e-commerce website. Although YouthBloc.com is in its infancy, the duo plans to take it across the country by partnering with celebrities and local politicians.
Broadus-Green is also part of the cast of the upcoming reality show “Women Pastors – Ladies In the Pulpit.” The show will reveal the incredible challenges faced by female pastors who must balance the responsibilities of home, work and church amid the scrutiny of family members, parishioners and outsiders. “Women Pastors – Ladies In the Pulpit” is expected to premier in early 2013. This weekend, Broadus-Green speaks at the Mt. Zion church in Wilmer Texas on Sunday morning at the 10 a.m, service, then appears at the First Sundays event in Arlington, Texas at 3316 Merrilee Drive (off Davidson Road, behind the racetrack.) from 2-7 p.m.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25