Highlight: The Sorento is now available with Kia’s version of Ford’s MySync System, the UVO, an infotainment system.
Test vehicle’s MSRP: $34,390 (Base Model starts at $23,950)
Seating Capacity: 5 to 7
Standard Safety Features: airbags (front and side); electronic stability control; abs; traction control system; a tire pressure monitoring system; and a downhill brake/hill-start assist system
Standard Equipment: 17-inch tires; heated outside mirrors; tilt-and-telescopic steering; steering wheel mounted controls; a manual a/c; remote keyless entry; cloth manually adjustable seats; power windows and power door locks
Standard Audio: AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player with a limited subscription Sirius XM audio.
Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty: 5 years or 60,000 miles
Powertrain Warranty: 10 years or 100,000 miles
Bluetooth Compatibility: Standard
Standard Engine/Horsepower: 2.4-liter, 4-cylinder/175-hp
Recommended Fuel: Regular
Standard Fuel Mileage: 21-city/29-hwy
What’s New: For the 2013 model year, pricing on the base model Sorento increased by nearly $2,000, when compared to the 2012 base model. The healthy price increase is due to adjustments made with the content. For example, the midlevel EX model now includes both leather and a third-row.
Seat Comfort/Support: Very Good
Pros: For a midsize SUV, the Sorento is one of the best buys on the market. Not
only is the Sorento packed with a number of features, it offers one of the best warranties in the industry for thousands less than its competitors.
The low-tech Sorento is easy to use and operate. There are no complicated smart-like phone menus to use or a voice-activated system unless one opts for Kia’s UVO system, which is similar to Ford’s Sync System.
The Sorento is available in a front-wheel drive and an all-wheel drive configuration. The well-built vehicle is available with such features as 18-inch wheels, an upgraded 10-speaker Infinity sound system, a rearview camera, an audible back-up alert system, a dual zone automatic temperature control system, power front (leather) seats, a rear a/c system to accommodate third-row passengers, a pushbutton starter system and a dual sunroof.
Cons: Unlike a number of automakers, Kia lacks some of the high-tech features available with some of its competitors. In fact, don’t expect such features as an electronic blind spot system, a radar cruise control system or a power liftgate.
Also, while the Sorento offers third row seats, most will find it quite cumbersome to enter and exit. And with the third row seat in use, the headrests compromise the driver’s vision, while at the same time limiting the cargo carrying capacity, too.
The Verdict: For consumers looking for a roomy SUV, crossover type vehicle, offering loads of content, below the pricing point of most of its competitors, the Sorento is one of the best buys in the market. While the Kia name may still be haunted by its past negative reputation of being both low-cost and non-reliable, today’s Sorento is a force to be reckoned with.
Competition: Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, GMC Traverse, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Nissan Murano
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him http://twitter.com/#!/JeffCars/.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31