Highlight: The Sorento is now available with Kia’s version of Ford’s MySync System, the UVO, an infotainment system.
Test vehicle’s MSRP: $34,390 (Base Model starts at $23,950)
Seating Capacity: 5 to 7
Standard Safety Features: airbags (front and side); electronic stability control; abs; traction control system; a tire pressure monitoring system; and a downhill brake/hill-start assist system
Standard Equipment: 17-inch tires; heated outside mirrors; tilt-and-telescopic steering; steering wheel mounted controls; a manual a/c; remote keyless entry; cloth manually adjustable seats; power windows and power door locks
Standard Audio: AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player with a limited subscription Sirius XM audio.
Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty: 5 years or 60,000 miles
Powertrain Warranty: 10 years or 100,000 miles
Bluetooth Compatibility: Standard
Standard Engine/Horsepower: 2.4-liter, 4-cylinder/175-hp
Recommended Fuel: Regular
Standard Fuel Mileage: 21-city/29-hwy
What’s New: For the 2013 model year, pricing on the base model Sorento increased by nearly $2,000, when compared to the 2012 base model. The healthy price increase is due to adjustments made with the content. For example, the midlevel EX model now includes both leather and a third-row.
Seat Comfort/Support: Very Good
Pros: For a midsize SUV, the Sorento is one of the best buys on the market. Not
only is the Sorento packed with a number of features, it offers one of the best warranties in the industry for thousands less than its competitors.
The low-tech Sorento is easy to use and operate. There are no complicated smart-like phone menus to use or a voice-activated system unless one opts for Kia’s UVO system, which is similar to Ford’s Sync System.
The Sorento is available in a front-wheel drive and an all-wheel drive configuration. The well-built vehicle is available with such features as 18-inch wheels, an upgraded 10-speaker Infinity sound system, a rearview camera, an audible back-up alert system, a dual zone automatic temperature control system, power front (leather) seats, a rear a/c system to accommodate third-row passengers, a pushbutton starter system and a dual sunroof.
Cons: Unlike a number of automakers, Kia lacks some of the high-tech features available with some of its competitors. In fact, don’t expect such features as an electronic blind spot system, a radar cruise control system or a power liftgate.
Also, while the Sorento offers third row seats, most will find it quite cumbersome to enter and exit. And with the third row seat in use, the headrests compromise the driver’s vision, while at the same time limiting the cargo carrying capacity, too.
The Verdict: For consumers looking for a roomy SUV, crossover type vehicle, offering loads of content, below the pricing point of most of its competitors, the Sorento is one of the best buys in the market. While the Kia name may still be haunted by its past negative reputation of being both low-cost and non-reliable, today’s Sorento is a force to be reckoned with.
Competition: Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, GMC Traverse, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Nissan Murano
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him http://twitter.com/#!/JeffCars/.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30