First of all, I want to send out thoughts and prayers to all those affected by the storm and still struggling to get their lives back in order.
Well, the important month of November is finally here and, of course, next week, Americans will go to the polls–(kudos to those who have already voted)–to cast their vote.
And as tragic as it is, the storm actually provides a context for this upcoming election in a poignant way.
You see, people were hurting long before the storm all over the country folks are poor, sick, lacking healthcare and hungry and while some may feel the folks suffering are to blame for their own circumstances, I want you to consider two things.
First, a storm can take on many forms in our lives. For some, our storm could be a family tragedy, a serious disability, a youthful mistake, or a mental illness.
None of us is immune to the debilitating events life may throw at us and all of us can certainly benefit from help while we’re working through our storm.
I’d be hard-pressed to find anyone, rich or poor, who hasn’t benefitted from some sort of help at critical points in their lives.
Second, many of those suffering the most are children and, needless to say, they’re certainly not at fault for the troubling situations they were born into, and they have no control over the storms affecting them.
So why am I bringing this up today, after the storm, and before the election? I bring it up because, when we go to the polls this Election Day, we should not forget these people–all around us, young and old–suffering from the storms in life.
You see, many of us have short memories. During the earlier part of the 20th century, rich people were the ones losing everything and jumping out of windows.
In fact, the reason President Roosevelt initiated his New Deal policies and social programs in the 1930s was to stabilize the economy while helping people suffering from the crippling impact of the major storm known as the Great Depression.
This Election Day, we can also help those struggling by voting for candidates with policies designed to help families in need, to children in need, and to help get us through the storm.
So let’s start right now with those in immediate need from the so-called “Frankenstorm” and aiding the relief effort by going to the redcross.org to donate or learn how you can help.
And then, on Election Day–without telling you who to vote for–my suggestion is to vote with your heart as much as you vote with your brain. Because voting for the well-being of your fellow citizen is smart since, rich or poor, nothing is promised to any of us.
And as they say, “all of us are only one catastrophe away from poverty and ruin.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25