Washington, D.C. – Award-winning documentary filmmaker Stanley Nelson (Freedom Riders, The Murder of Emmett Till) and Advancement Project, a civil and voting rights group, have collaborated for a trilogy of inspiring short films. Telling the stories of everyday people who stood up for the right to vote this year in the face of trying obstacles, the approximately three-minute documentaries encourage all citizens to vote on November 6. Each is branded with the tagline: They Stood Up. So Can You. Vote.
The lead litigator in several successful lawsuits that challenged new photo ID laws across the country, Advancement Project also works on the ground helping local groups increase access to the ballot. Nelson’s compelling documentaries feature both the ordinary people behind the headlines and organized state partners working on the ground.
“Those of us who work to uphold the right to vote in this country, from the courtrooms to the streets, could never do it without the courage of everyday Americans who stand up for their right to participate in democracy,” said Advancement Project Co-Director Judith Browne Dianis. “We are thrilled to work with Stanley Nelson, whose team movingly illustrated their stories.”
The short films’ stories include:
• Bettye Jones, the lead plaintiff in AP’s lawsuit challenging Wisconsin’s photo ID law, and her daughter Debra Crawford. They detail their extensive, aggravating efforts to get a state-issued photo ID for Bettye, a lifelong voter who was never issued a birth certificate. (See video below)
• Elvira Diaz, a community organizer from Nevada, who launched a campaign to register Latino voters. Her efforts were met with hostility from individuals who harassed her and other volunteers.
• Emmanuel Aziz and Joy Lieberman, both plaintiffs in an AP lawsuit opposed to a Missouri photo ID ballot initiative. Joy feared a glitch on her birth certificate would prevent her from renewing her photo ID, while Emmanuel, who has multiple sclerosis and is confined to a wheelchair, would have had great difficulty traveling to multiple offices for the required documentation.
With the voter ID initiatives blocked in both states, and Elvira’s registration drive going on to register nearly 4,000 voters in her city, all of these citizens will be voting on November 6.
“We hope that these stories of resistance and triumph inspire others to make their voices heard at the voting booth,” said Penda D. Hair, Advancement Project Co-Director. “So many individuals have been relentlessly fighting this election cycle to ensure that every eligible citizen can vote – and we encourage all Americans to exercise that fundamental right.”
Advancement Project is a next-generation civil rights organization that works on issues of race and democracy.
n issues of race and democracy.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Films Stress the Urgency of Voting