I am glad to be with you this morning from Rochester, NY having made it through Hurricane Sandy unscathed. Our hearts and prayers go out to the families that lost loved ones and the millions that are probably going to be without power for a week or longer. And for those who were affected and are in areas that are still dangerous please stay indoors until the all clear sign is given. If at all possible do not use candles for light (more fires are started during power outages from candle fire), and please if you are out avoid and report down power lines. While small things, we want as many people safe after the storm as during.
But Tom, we have to talk about the storm that is on the way. Special TJMS meteorologist informed me of a storm that is about a week out from touching ground on US soil. Tropical Storm Mitt is trying to gain strength and is set to hit on November 6th. There is no need to evacuate, but there are a few things you can do to prepare. Make sure you pick up all of your IDs. When Mitt comes it will try to knock out your power to vote with ID laws that you can beat. Know where your polling station is. The winds of lies that swirl into our communities will try to tell some people they are in the wrong place. And last but not least, just like with Sandy, lives were saved and major thanks are due to the first responders. If possible VOTE EARLY. Tropical Storm Mitt isn’t that strong, but the flooding that surrounds him will cause the most confusion on November 6th. Be there early and first. All in All Tropical Storm Mitt‘s bark will be bigger than its bite. But an unprepared community could be blown away if not ready. If you need more information on how to prepare for the storm you can call 1-866-MyVote1 before or during the storm for relief. And just remember, the storm might endure for the night, but Obama will be elected by the morning.
Tom – before I go, I need to take a point of personal to send a major TJMS size happy birthday to the greatest father this side of heaven. MY dad, Johnnie Johnson Jr. is 67 TODAY. 5 years ago he was given a year to live. He never accepted that sentence and has shown cancer who has the bigger punch. Before his illness he was my hero just because he was my dad. Since his illness, he has shown me what living is all about. He launched an initiative to educate those with cancer and their families how to stay informed and empowered. I would ask the TJMS family to simply give him the birthday gift of following him on twitter. He is @cancercombatant. Happy Birthday Dad. I pray this is your best year yet, but this Birthday…..You’re the gift.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25