If there is anyone who is a testimony to the resilience of the human spirit, it’s military veteran J.R. Martinez. In 2003, the Georgia resident was serving in Iraq in the Army’s 101st Airborne unit when a Humvee he was driving struck a mine. Burned over 30 percent of his body, including his face, he spent 34 months in the hospital and had 30 surgeries to repair the damage. Just 20 years old at the time, Martinez could have succumbed to the overwhelming physical injuries as well as the damage to his psyche. Instead, he became a symbol of success for the military and anyone who’s been through a horrific experience. He landed roles on “All My Children” and “Army Wives” and was the Season 13 winner of “Dancing With the Stars.”
His miraculous recovery is detailed in his new book “Full of Heart.” In it, Martinez describes the devastation his injuries caused him and his family and the strength, both mental and physical it took to overcome them. Now an advocate for burn victims and a motivational speaker, Martinez hopes his book inspires someone else in a challenging situation.
“It teaches people we can all overcome,” Martinez told NBC Latino. “Change is scary, and I think my story allows you to understand — you can make it work. We all have the power to make it work. We can find the way to do great things.”
One of the great things Martinez was going to do was be the last to start the New York City marathon. He was starting last because Timex was going to donate $1 to everyone who passed him at the start. Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy had other plans and the New York Marathon will almost certainly be postponed given the damage the storm did in New York City. But Martinez is used to dealing with adverse circumstances and will likely be there whenever the race is rescheduled.
Martinez and his fiancée Diana Gonzales-Jones had a baby girl, Lauryn Annabelle, on May 2. He shares much of his personal journey through the book, something that he thought was important to connect with his many fans and help others see that they can overcome anything.
“A lot of times people have been living their lives doing everything right, thinking everything's perfect, then some trauma happens,” Martinez told Tfponline.com. “Because we get so caught up in thinking everything is great, we focus only on 'Why me?' We are so focused on why that we eliminate the possibilities. Create something better from that trauma, that's what I try to relate to people. Accept it happened, and there is a reason it happened. Take it and make something else from it.”
“Full of Heart” is in stores and available for download now. Read an excerpt here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25