Veteran Democratic Florida lawmaker Al Lawson locked arms with the legendary civil rights leader and Georgia Congressman John Lewis (D-Ga.) to lead a throng of supporters to vote early.
With a week left in a highly contentious battle against one-term U.S. Rep. Steve Southerland (R-Fla.), Lawson knows that every vote counts if he is going to win a seat to represent the Second District, stretching 14 counties across the Florida Panhandle. The district includes the liberal leaning Tallahassee, where Lawson lives, and the more conservative-leaning and more rural area of Panama City where Southerland lives. Longtime Democrat James Clyburn (D-S.C.) and numerous local civic and business leaders joined Lawson in an effort to sure up his support.
"People want someone they can trust, and they can't trust my opponent," said Lawson, a veteran insurance executive who served 18 years in the Florida House and 10 years in the Senate. "They can trust me. They know me."
Currently, the Lawson-Southerland race is tight with Southerland having a slight lead in the polls and raising more money ($1.6 million vs. $506,000) than his challenger. This race has become a symbol of the national presidential election where Florida is a critical battleground state that President Barack Obama is hoping to win the highly coveted 29 Electoral College votes to help him secure re-election.
Four years ago, U.S. Sen. John McCain won the district with 54 percent of the vote, but Obama won the predominately black Leon County. As one of the key battleground states, Lawson is working hard to rally his base in hopes to help the president to victory in the state – and re-election.
During this year's election, Southerland is counting on his experience in Washington to stress the themes echoed by the top man on his ticket, GOP Nominee Gov. Mitt Romney. He voted 93% of the time along party lines, according to The Washington Post.
"People today say that Congress is broken and that people don't work with each other," Lawson said in a recent phone interview. "My opponent hasn't reached across the aisle. He's more concerned about bailing out Wall Street instead of bailing out Main Street."
Southerland grew up in Panama City where he is president and owner of the Southerland Family Funeral Homes, which has been in the family for decades. He lives in Panama City with his wife Susan who he met in first grade. They have four daughters, Samantha, Stephanie, Ally and Abby. He touts his credibility as a small business owner who knows how to create jobs. While in Washington, he has served on the House Committees on Agriculture, Natural Resources and Transportation.
Lawson also has deep roots in the district. He's a graduate of Florida A&M and Florida State University, where he is a distinguished alumnus, whose name appears on the "Albert Lawson Jr. Multipurpose Center and Teaching Gymnasium" for which he helped lead the fundraising. He has developed a broad-based coalition of supporters, including the American Association for Justice ($5,250), the American Federation of State/County/Municipal Employees ($5,000), the Florida Benevolent Association ($5,000) and dozens of smaller contributions ranging from $1,000 to $2,500.
On the other hand, Southerland has attracted donations from mainly corporations, including Gulf Coast Dermatology ($14,201), Eastern Shipbuilding Group ($12,500), Every Republican is Crucial PAC ($10,000) and FedEx Corporation ($8,250).
Lawson remains unnerved, focused on winning the election.
"Money can't win it," said Lawson, who lives in Tallahassee with his childhood sweetheart, Delores. He's got two adult children and two grandchildren. "I'm going to win this seat by knocking on doors, visiting with people, listening and talking to people to address their concerns."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25