Got a question about diabetes? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH)
Experts will gather at the Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University, Nov. 14-17, for the Global Diabetes Summit to discuss the latest diabetes research and develop a road map for the prevention, detection, treatment and management of the disease, which has been diagnosed in an estimated to 3 million black Americans and could be impacting millions more who are unaware they are diabetic.
African Americans are nearly twice as likely as non-Hispanic whites to develop diabetes and 25 percent of black Americans ages 65-74 are diabetic.
Dr. Trudy Gaillard, an adjunct assistant professor in Nursing Undergraduate Studies and a research assistant professor in Endo, Diabetes and Metabolism at Ohio State and a leading researcher on the impact of diabetes on black people will be among the presenters at the conference which is being held during National Diabetes Month.
Gaillard has been a regular at the annual Tom Joyner Take a Loved One to the Doctor events, taking calls on the Dr. Day hotline and participating in other activities.
According to the American Diabetes Association, 3.2 million, or 13.3 percent of all African Americans aged 20 or older have diabetes and one in four black women over the age of 55 has diabetes.
Not only are black Americans more likely to get the disease, but related complications strike disproportionately as well. It is the No. 1 cause of blindness, kidney disease and amputations for black Americans and heart disease and stroke account for about 65 percent of deaths in people with diabetes and diabetics are also at a higher risk for stroke and death from stroke.
Children are particularly at risk of contracting diabetes because of the childhood obesity epidemic.
In a paper published in the research journal Healio Endocrinology/Endocrine Today, Gaillard noted the importance of diet and exercise in managing diabetes.
“Excessive weight (obesity) and lack of physical activity are two of the major factors associated with increasing metabolic syndrome risks. These two factors are increasing in both U.S. adults and children,” Gaillard wrote.
“Understanding how weight gain and lack of physical activity are associated with increased metabolic syndrome and CVD mobility and mortality are major public problems. Most studies have shown that increases in physical activity are associated with lower rates of metabolic syndrome and other CVD comorbid conditions. … This issue is particularly important in black women who report less leisure time physical activity compared to white women.”
In other words, there is a direct correlation between exercise and lowering or preventing incidences of diabetes and related conditions that could lead to death for those with diabetes.
Kirk Geter, D.P.M., assistant professor at the College of Medicine and chief of the Division of Podiatry at Howard University Hospital told BlackAmericaWeb.com in an earlier interview that a test for diabetes should be part of a routine physical for people how have a history of the disease in their families.
On Saturday, Nov. 17, Dominque Wilkins, an NBA legend and vice president of basketball for the Atlanta Hawks, and Oscar Joyner, president and chief operating officer of Reach Media Inc., the parent company of the Tom Joyner Morning Show and BlackAmericaWeb.com, will address the summit on their personal battles with diabetes and their successful management strategies.
This event is free, but registration is required. Register at go.osu.edu.
Click here for answers to your diabetes questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30