This week, the release of LL Cool J’s latest single “Rachet” and Fat Joe’s “Instagram that H**" have generated debate around the internet as to whether the two artists seem credible making the kind of music that has been successful for their much younger counterparts. Both songs seem to be pandering to the teenage audience that likes artists like Drake, LI’l Wayne, Rick Ross and Nicki MInaj, but for each of them, the songs seem out of place given their age and past success. LL, born James Todd Smith in Queens, N.Y. put his rap career on the back burner some years ago to carve out a lucrative niche in films and TV. He’s currently starring on “NCIS: Los Angeles,” part of the CBS ratings juggernaut of crime procedurals.
Now that he’s a 40-somehing father of four, it’s difficult to see LL revitalizing his career with a song that complains about the rachet chicks that get on his nerves. LL ‘s career never depended on objectifying women – his hit “Round the Way Girl” was an appreciation of girls from the 'hood and even racier songs songs like “Dear Yvette”, “Doin’ It” and “Big Ole Butt” were always delivered a little tongue-in-cheek. As a rapper much more known for his wordplay, it’s hard to see him try to reenter the hip-hop arena with a song so obviously beneath his lyrical talents. And now that he’s hosted the Grammys and the Grammy Nomination concert, which airs from Nashville on CBS December 5, the public views LL much more as a senior statesman in music who might condemn its current rachetness rather than give in to it.
As for Fat Joe, the Bronx, N.Y. native who brought us Big Pun, “Lean Back” and “We Thuggin,’” his recent release “Instagram that H**” is not so far from other records he’s done. But again, Fat Joe is now viewed as one of rap’s pioneers and the man behind beloved hits from the 90’s that we turn way up when they (infrequently) get played on the radio. “Instagram that H**” which features current hitmakers Rick Ross and Three 6 Mafia’s Juicy J, seems like an attempt to hop on the latest social media trend as well as pack his record with artists that have more current sway with a younger audience. It’s not a bad song if you consider it in context with everything else that’s out. It just seems like a desperation move on Fat Joe’s part. Despite a big weight loss, he hasn’t parlayed his previous hits into anything that’s been relevant lately. At 41, Joe’s not that much older than Rick Ross or 2 Chainz (both 36). We just expect a little more from the guy who was once the hottest Puerto Rican artist outside of Jennifer Lopez.
We don’t want these guys to do what the kids do. We want them to try to elevate the art form for the adults that liked them in the past. Jay-Z is a prime example of how to smoothly navigate aging in hip-hop. He just does what he’s always done but doesn’t waste his time trying to follow the latest trends. Jay’s like an old playa who realizes that you don’t have run a bunch of game at women once you’re older – you can be just as smooth and waste less time by telling the truth.
LL and Fat Joe can look to another rap star for inspiration as well. Nas has enjoyed one of the longest periods of relevancy in hip-hop being consistent and putting lyrics first. Yes, Rick Ross guest stars on his new CD “Life’s Good”, but the song made sense for both artists. Destpite his 20-year career, unprecedented these days, Nas doesn’t have a TV show, he doesn’t have a clothing line or own his own label, yet somehow he earns a living (and a good one if his divorce settlement with ex-wife Kelis is any indication). More than that, Nas has retained the respect of his audience and his peers. It’s a tricky balancing art, but he’s found the formula. Maybe LL and Joe should get together, dig in their respective musical crates and figure out how to take the best of what they’ve done in the past and update it for the people that can still appreciate it.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25