Today, Mellody Hobson talks about jobs and changing careers.
With unemployment at 7.8%, most of TJMS listeners have jobs, but that doesn’t mean they’re happy with them. A recent study by UC, Berkley found that only 48% of participants said they were “very satisfied” with their work. That said, that same study also found that people WANT to work. When asked if they had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives, would they work or stop working, over 70% said they would continue working. The takeaway is that people get a lot of satisfaction from their jobs, even if they don’t love them, but you might as well love your work if you’re going to dedicate so much of your life to it.
What should you do if you aren’t happy at your job?
The first rule of thumb is NOT to leave your job until you’ve secured a new one. I cannot stress this enough. It’s always easier to get a job from a job. If it’s not the specific work environment that's bothering you but the nature of your work itself, consider switching careers entirely. It’s never too late for a fresh start, and there are a number of fast-growing fields with low barriers to entry.
One field booming with hiring opportunity is the health care industry. Our population is constantly aging and reproducing, so from pediatrics to geriatrics, there’s no shortage of patients.
U.S. News and World Report named registered nurse the Best Job for 2012. The problem is that an entry-level position in nursing requires a bachelor of science degree in nursing, an associate's degree, or a diploma program administered in a hospital, but the good news is that people without those credentials can still take advantage of job opportunities within the industry by becoming medical assistants.
Medical assistant came in at #4 in the U.S. News and World Report Best Jobs Rankings. The good news is that job growth for medical assistants is expected to be much faster than the national average. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects medical assistant employment growth of 30.9 percent between 2010 and 2020, with the field adding 162,900 more jobs. No formal training is required, and workers with just a high school diploma can learn on the job.
What’s the job like—and what does it pay?
In addition to traditional office work like answering phones and filing, it can entail some basic medical care work like taking vital signs, drawing blood and sterilizing equipment. The median salary is about $29,000.
Any advice about how to make the switch?
Absolutely! The low barrier to entry means it can be harder to differentiate yourself in a sea of applicants. It would be great to take a certification course to learn lab techniques, but a small amount of volunteer work is another way to beef up your resume with a minimal time investment. Spend a Saturday afternoon helping at a blood pressure drive. Also, people skills and organization are two key necessities for the job, so be sure to highlight those attributes in your cover letter. By the way, always write a thoughtful but succinct cover letter when applying for a new job, and have someone else read it to check for typos. Your cover letter is what makes or breaks your chances for an interview.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31