Today, Mellody Hobson talks about jobs and changing careers.
With unemployment at 7.8%, most of TJMS listeners have jobs, but that doesn’t mean they’re happy with them. A recent study by UC, Berkley found that only 48% of participants said they were “very satisfied” with their work. That said, that same study also found that people WANT to work. When asked if they had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives, would they work or stop working, over 70% said they would continue working. The takeaway is that people get a lot of satisfaction from their jobs, even if they don’t love them, but you might as well love your work if you’re going to dedicate so much of your life to it.
What should you do if you aren’t happy at your job?
The first rule of thumb is NOT to leave your job until you’ve secured a new one. I cannot stress this enough. It’s always easier to get a job from a job. If it’s not the specific work environment that's bothering you but the nature of your work itself, consider switching careers entirely. It’s never too late for a fresh start, and there are a number of fast-growing fields with low barriers to entry.
One field booming with hiring opportunity is the health care industry. Our population is constantly aging and reproducing, so from pediatrics to geriatrics, there’s no shortage of patients.
U.S. News and World Report named registered nurse the Best Job for 2012. The problem is that an entry-level position in nursing requires a bachelor of science degree in nursing, an associate's degree, or a diploma program administered in a hospital, but the good news is that people without those credentials can still take advantage of job opportunities within the industry by becoming medical assistants.
Medical assistant came in at #4 in the U.S. News and World Report Best Jobs Rankings. The good news is that job growth for medical assistants is expected to be much faster than the national average. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects medical assistant employment growth of 30.9 percent between 2010 and 2020, with the field adding 162,900 more jobs. No formal training is required, and workers with just a high school diploma can learn on the job.
What’s the job like—and what does it pay?
In addition to traditional office work like answering phones and filing, it can entail some basic medical care work like taking vital signs, drawing blood and sterilizing equipment. The median salary is about $29,000.
Any advice about how to make the switch?
Absolutely! The low barrier to entry means it can be harder to differentiate yourself in a sea of applicants. It would be great to take a certification course to learn lab techniques, but a small amount of volunteer work is another way to beef up your resume with a minimal time investment. Spend a Saturday afternoon helping at a blood pressure drive. Also, people skills and organization are two key necessities for the job, so be sure to highlight those attributes in your cover letter. By the way, always write a thoughtful but succinct cover letter when applying for a new job, and have someone else read it to check for typos. Your cover letter is what makes or breaks your chances for an interview.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30