CHICAGO (AP) — U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., who has given no hint of when he'll return to work four months after taking medical leave, will head back to the Mayo Clinic for a checkup "soon," his father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, said Sunday.
The Democratic congressman from Illinois was released from the Rochester, Minn., clinic in September after seeking treatment for bipolar disorder and gastrointestinal issues. He has been with his family in Washington since, but has not appeared in public, campaigned beyond a recent robocall or said when he'll return to Capitol Hill. His spokesmen will only say that Jackson remains on the Nov. 6 ballot.
Jackson's father, a prominent civil rights leader, said the congressman will go back to Mayo in the near future, but would not say when or for how long. He said only doctors could determine if he would be able to return home immediately or receive further inpatient treatment.
"He has not regained his balance altogether," the elder Jackson said. "But he's seeking his balance."
He said his son has an "overwhelming desire to get back to work," but any predictions were premature.
Mayo Clinic spokeswoman Duska Anastasijevic said Jackson is not a current patient and she could not confirm whether he has plans to check into the clinic. Jackson spokesman Frank Watkins said he didn't have any further information.
Many questions about the congressman's medical leave have gone unanswered. He first took medical leave in June for what staff described as exhaustion, but the information wasn't disclosed publicly until two weeks later.
Since then, information has come in spurts. It took weeks for his office to say where and for what Jackson was being treated.
The timing of his leave also has invited scrutiny.
Jackson — just weeks from the election — remains under a House Ethics Committee investigation for links to imprisoned former Gov. Rod Blagojevich. The committee is looking into allegations that Jackson was involved in discussions about raising money for Blagojevich's campaign in exchange for an appointment to President Barack Obama's vacated U.S. Senate seat. And the announcement of the leave came just days after a former fundraiser connected to those allegations was arrested on unrelated federal medical fraud charges.
Jackson has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and has said his name will be cleared.
More recently, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that there is a federal probe related to his campaign finances.
The congressman, who first won office in 1995 special election, faces two little-known candidates on the November ballot. He's widely expected to be re-elected to a ninth full term despite the fact that he has not appeared in public for months. Jackson's Chicago-area district is heavily Democratic and many community leaders and mayors have endorsed him.
Jackson has said recently that he sees doctors twice a day while at the family's home in Washington. His wife, Chicago Alderman Sandi Jackson, has said that only doctors will be able to say when he can return to work.
The congressman's first communication to the public since the leave came Saturday in a robocall to voters in which he asked for patience.
"I am anxious to return to work on your behalf, but at this time it is against medical advice, and while I will always give my all to my constituents, I ask for your continued patience as I work to get my health back," he said in the recorded call.
His opponents — a Republican college professor and postal worker running as an independent candidate — blasted the move.
"As we wait for the Congressman to return, we have no voice. And now the Congressman is saying he has no answer about when he will return," Republican Brian Woodworth said in a statement late Saturday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30