CHICAGO (AP) — U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., who has given no hint of when he'll return to work four months after taking medical leave, will head back to the Mayo Clinic for a checkup "soon," his father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, said Sunday.
The Democratic congressman from Illinois was released from the Rochester, Minn., clinic in September after seeking treatment for bipolar disorder and gastrointestinal issues. He has been with his family in Washington since, but has not appeared in public, campaigned beyond a recent robocall or said when he'll return to Capitol Hill. His spokesmen will only say that Jackson remains on the Nov. 6 ballot.
Jackson's father, a prominent civil rights leader, said the congressman will go back to Mayo in the near future, but would not say when or for how long. He said only doctors could determine if he would be able to return home immediately or receive further inpatient treatment.
"He has not regained his balance altogether," the elder Jackson said. "But he's seeking his balance."
He said his son has an "overwhelming desire to get back to work," but any predictions were premature.
Mayo Clinic spokeswoman Duska Anastasijevic said Jackson is not a current patient and she could not confirm whether he has plans to check into the clinic. Jackson spokesman Frank Watkins said he didn't have any further information.
Many questions about the congressman's medical leave have gone unanswered. He first took medical leave in June for what staff described as exhaustion, but the information wasn't disclosed publicly until two weeks later.
Since then, information has come in spurts. It took weeks for his office to say where and for what Jackson was being treated.
The timing of his leave also has invited scrutiny.
Jackson — just weeks from the election — remains under a House Ethics Committee investigation for links to imprisoned former Gov. Rod Blagojevich. The committee is looking into allegations that Jackson was involved in discussions about raising money for Blagojevich's campaign in exchange for an appointment to President Barack Obama's vacated U.S. Senate seat. And the announcement of the leave came just days after a former fundraiser connected to those allegations was arrested on unrelated federal medical fraud charges.
Jackson has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and has said his name will be cleared.
More recently, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that there is a federal probe related to his campaign finances.
The congressman, who first won office in 1995 special election, faces two little-known candidates on the November ballot. He's widely expected to be re-elected to a ninth full term despite the fact that he has not appeared in public for months. Jackson's Chicago-area district is heavily Democratic and many community leaders and mayors have endorsed him.
Jackson has said recently that he sees doctors twice a day while at the family's home in Washington. His wife, Chicago Alderman Sandi Jackson, has said that only doctors will be able to say when he can return to work.
The congressman's first communication to the public since the leave came Saturday in a robocall to voters in which he asked for patience.
"I am anxious to return to work on your behalf, but at this time it is against medical advice, and while I will always give my all to my constituents, I ask for your continued patience as I work to get my health back," he said in the recorded call.
His opponents — a Republican college professor and postal worker running as an independent candidate — blasted the move.
"As we wait for the Congressman to return, we have no voice. And now the Congressman is saying he has no answer about when he will return," Republican Brian Woodworth said in a statement late Saturday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31