NEW YORK (AP) — The mystery surrounding the killing of a pregnant woman deepened Monday, as investigators looked into a strange note left at the scene and discovered that her fiance was still married to another woman.
The body of Vindalee Smith, 38, was found Saturday morning in a pool of blood, a gaping hole in her neck. She was eight months pregnant and expected to deliver the boy in about two weeks, but the fetus did not survive.
The death was ruled a homicide, but no arrests have been made.
Smith, a devout Seventh-Day Adventist, had been planning to marry Anthony Jackman on Sunday in a small ceremony at her church. Most of her friends said they had not known her fiance long, if at all, and some didn't know his name.
But she could not have married Jackman legally because he has a wife in New Jersey. Police said the two are estranged, with Jackman living with his mother during the week and the wife living in their former home. A message left at the house believed to belong to the couple and one left at the home believed to belong to his mother were not immediately returned Monday.
Jackman was among friends and family interviewed by police. He was released, though police said no one has been cleared as a suspect.
Investigators discovered a bizarre typed note in the woman's apartment referencing the 2002 Washington sniper case that read: "I will kill 1 pregnant woman a month starting now until Lee Boyd Malvo is set free!" It was signed "the apprentice" with a smiley face.
It's not clear what, if any, relevance the note had to the death of Smith. Investigators are trying to determine whether it represented legitimate evidence or a ruse meant to throw them off track.
Malvo was 17 when he went on the cross-country killing spree with John Allen Muhammad. The pair was linked to 27 shootings across the country, including 10 fatal attacks in the Washington area. Malvo is serving a life sentence with no parole in Virginia. Muhammad was executed in Virginia in 2009.
Malvo testified that a second phase of the plan included shooting a pregnant woman.
Smith, who has four other children in their teens and 20s, had been living in a basement apartment in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn and had recently moved in. Police said there was no sign of forced entry, and no weapon was recovered.
It's not clear whether Jackman was the father of her unborn child.
Smith had joined the her church about three years ago, said Andrew Connor, a deacon.
"She was dedicated to her family," he said. "She was beautiful and this is very surreal."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25