Tyler Perry has made hit after hit with Madea, The Browns, and other characters, but here’s a new suggestion for the hitmaker from Denise Stewart, a frequent writer on BlackAmericaweb.com.
Dear Mr. Perry,
I recently heard Madea mention Honey Boo Boo during an interview on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and it gave me an idea.
Honestly speaking, like many viewers across the country, I’ve taken a likin’ to the “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” show, aired weekly on The Learning Channel. I even toddled back and forth to watch it during both the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. That was important, because in a recent television interview, the 7-year-old from McIntyre, Ga., announced her endorsement of President Barack Obama.
Now Honey Boo Boo is making the rounds on television talk shows and she and her family have signed up for more episodes, even including holiday specials.
So here comes the idea. Mr. Perry, I think you should get in on the action and consider either a movie, play or series with an African-American Honey Boo Boo.
If you are familiar with the show, you know that there are a few things that would not fly in your caramel to chocolate twist of American pop culture.
For starters, someone would need to get that pig, Glitzy, in check.
1. You know in African-American households, live pigs would not be on the breakfast table for any reason. If a pig is on our table, it’s name is ham, bacon, spare rib or maybe pork chop. That pig would take on a different kind of life after it’s been fried, grilled or stuffed. And not under any circumstance would you find that little piggy being cuddled before dinner. He would BE dinner.
2. Sugar Bear, Honey Boo Boo’s daddy, would have to step up his game. It seemed nice and thoughtful of him to present June, Honey Boo Boo’s momma, with a bronzed deer to remind her of their fondness for road kill. But if he wants to win a sister’s heart, he’d have to do so with more than a fake or dead deer. He’d have to bring home the real deal for a black woman.
3. And speaking of meat, black women typically don’t serve up “sketti” sauce and noodles that is supposed to be as good as spaghetti. In a recent episode, June made the family’s favorite dish, spaghetti noodles with a special sauce simply concocted with butter and ketchup cooked for a few seconds in the microwave. Again, we like meat. Sure you may find a few vegan men with earth-loving children, but even they want more in their sauce than a slurpy. They want chunky meat, chunky vegetables, chunky something other than plain “sketti” served in an old cereal bowl.
4. Last, but not least, someone needs to introduce Honey Boo Boo to some old-fashioned discipline. Madea has shown us on more than one occasion that she knows how to handle sassy children. Honey Boo Boo would have to recognize that Madea and other grownups are in charge. Since when did black children get away with calling daddys by their nicknames face-to-face? Since when did black children get away with rolling the house in toilet tissue? And when did we decide to let children determine what they do and when they do it? Ask Madea.
Consider these things Mr. Perry, and you could have another hit on your hands.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30