Tyler Perry has made hit after hit with Madea, The Browns, and other characters, but here’s a new suggestion for the hitmaker from Denise Stewart, a frequent writer on BlackAmericaweb.com.
Dear Mr. Perry,
I recently heard Madea mention Honey Boo Boo during an interview on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and it gave me an idea.
Honestly speaking, like many viewers across the country, I’ve taken a likin’ to the “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” show, aired weekly on The Learning Channel. I even toddled back and forth to watch it during both the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. That was important, because in a recent television interview, the 7-year-old from McIntyre, Ga., announced her endorsement of President Barack Obama.
Now Honey Boo Boo is making the rounds on television talk shows and she and her family have signed up for more episodes, even including holiday specials.
So here comes the idea. Mr. Perry, I think you should get in on the action and consider either a movie, play or series with an African-American Honey Boo Boo.
If you are familiar with the show, you know that there are a few things that would not fly in your caramel to chocolate twist of American pop culture.
For starters, someone would need to get that pig, Glitzy, in check.
1. You know in African-American households, live pigs would not be on the breakfast table for any reason. If a pig is on our table, it’s name is ham, bacon, spare rib or maybe pork chop. That pig would take on a different kind of life after it’s been fried, grilled or stuffed. And not under any circumstance would you find that little piggy being cuddled before dinner. He would BE dinner.
2. Sugar Bear, Honey Boo Boo’s daddy, would have to step up his game. It seemed nice and thoughtful of him to present June, Honey Boo Boo’s momma, with a bronzed deer to remind her of their fondness for road kill. But if he wants to win a sister’s heart, he’d have to do so with more than a fake or dead deer. He’d have to bring home the real deal for a black woman.
3. And speaking of meat, black women typically don’t serve up “sketti” sauce and noodles that is supposed to be as good as spaghetti. In a recent episode, June made the family’s favorite dish, spaghetti noodles with a special sauce simply concocted with butter and ketchup cooked for a few seconds in the microwave. Again, we like meat. Sure you may find a few vegan men with earth-loving children, but even they want more in their sauce than a slurpy. They want chunky meat, chunky vegetables, chunky something other than plain “sketti” served in an old cereal bowl.
4. Last, but not least, someone needs to introduce Honey Boo Boo to some old-fashioned discipline. Madea has shown us on more than one occasion that she knows how to handle sassy children. Honey Boo Boo would have to recognize that Madea and other grownups are in charge. Since when did black children get away with calling daddys by their nicknames face-to-face? Since when did black children get away with rolling the house in toilet tissue? And when did we decide to let children determine what they do and when they do it? Ask Madea.
Consider these things Mr. Perry, and you could have another hit on your hands.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25