Tyler Perry has made hit after hit with Madea, The Browns, and other characters, but here’s a new suggestion for the hitmaker from Denise Stewart, a frequent writer on BlackAmericaweb.com.
Dear Mr. Perry,
I recently heard Madea mention Honey Boo Boo during an interview on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and it gave me an idea.
Honestly speaking, like many viewers across the country, I’ve taken a likin’ to the “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” show, aired weekly on The Learning Channel. I even toddled back and forth to watch it during both the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. That was important, because in a recent television interview, the 7-year-old from McIntyre, Ga., announced her endorsement of President Barack Obama.
Now Honey Boo Boo is making the rounds on television talk shows and she and her family have signed up for more episodes, even including holiday specials.
So here comes the idea. Mr. Perry, I think you should get in on the action and consider either a movie, play or series with an African-American Honey Boo Boo.
If you are familiar with the show, you know that there are a few things that would not fly in your caramel to chocolate twist of American pop culture.
For starters, someone would need to get that pig, Glitzy, in check.
1. You know in African-American households, live pigs would not be on the breakfast table for any reason. If a pig is on our table, it’s name is ham, bacon, spare rib or maybe pork chop. That pig would take on a different kind of life after it’s been fried, grilled or stuffed. And not under any circumstance would you find that little piggy being cuddled before dinner. He would BE dinner.
2. Sugar Bear, Honey Boo Boo’s daddy, would have to step up his game. It seemed nice and thoughtful of him to present June, Honey Boo Boo’s momma, with a bronzed deer to remind her of their fondness for road kill. But if he wants to win a sister’s heart, he’d have to do so with more than a fake or dead deer. He’d have to bring home the real deal for a black woman.
3. And speaking of meat, black women typically don’t serve up “sketti” sauce and noodles that is supposed to be as good as spaghetti. In a recent episode, June made the family’s favorite dish, spaghetti noodles with a special sauce simply concocted with butter and ketchup cooked for a few seconds in the microwave. Again, we like meat. Sure you may find a few vegan men with earth-loving children, but even they want more in their sauce than a slurpy. They want chunky meat, chunky vegetables, chunky something other than plain “sketti” served in an old cereal bowl.
4. Last, but not least, someone needs to introduce Honey Boo Boo to some old-fashioned discipline. Madea has shown us on more than one occasion that she knows how to handle sassy children. Honey Boo Boo would have to recognize that Madea and other grownups are in charge. Since when did black children get away with calling daddys by their nicknames face-to-face? Since when did black children get away with rolling the house in toilet tissue? And when did we decide to let children determine what they do and when they do it? Ask Madea.
Consider these things Mr. Perry, and you could have another hit on your hands.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31