So, most of you have probably heard about the white business owner in New Jersey who had the image of President Obama as a “witch doctor” in his storefront window. It’s an image he swears isn’t racist.
To be honest, I’m much more concerned with what our community thinks of itself because it’s one thing if someone else views you as inferior, but it’s a whole 'nutha problem if you see yourself this way.
I recently read an article in the Washington Post by Marita Golden that spoke to the ‘color complex’ in black communities – not years ago, but right now.
Golden’s article depicted countless examples of self-hatred, including comments about how college students say they would ‘never marry a dark skinned female’; or how one woman was shocked to learn, upon the birth of her grandson, that her daughter had been quote-unquote, “praying that he’d come out light, like his father, not dark like me.”
Wow, will we ever get over this sickness? I mean, how long will we continue to hate ourselves, our beautiful African roots, and our darker hue?
Well, thankfully, the annual celebration of Community Healing Days designed to mobilize black people to overcome the lie of black inferiority is coming up this weekend.
That lie—and its devaluation of black hair, black skin, and every other aspect of black people-contributes to the low self-esteem of so many black folk, the black-white academic achievement gap, the mass incarceration of black men, the epidemic of violence, and many of the other problems facing our community.
To reverse these negative trends, we’ve got to engage in a fearless struggle for our psychological liberation and the Community Healing Network is working with the Association of Black Psychologists and leaders in Tuskegee, Alabama to create a nationwide grassroots network of self-help groups focused on emotional healing for Black people.
This year, The Association of Black Psychologists and Community Healing Network are asking black people to make personal commitments to emotional wellness by taking a pledge to defy the lie of black inferiority and embrace the truth of black humanity.
To get involved go to communityhealingnet.org and take the pledge to Defy the Lie and Embrace the Truth.
I’m going to leave you with words from a poem written by a talented young brother named A.D. Carson who is a leader of this effort.
“And if you tell a lie long enough,
if it gets far enough from its origin
that the people who tell it believe it to be true,
you can hold a mirror up to the most beautiful little brown boy or girl
and watch him frown a little,
watch her wince a bit,
see them deny what is the very definition of beauty
for the false belief that what they see is the exact opposite…
Emotional Emancipation is the defying of the lie…
Defy The Lie. Embrace the Truth.
Look into that mirror…and see beauty for what it is.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25