So, most of you have probably heard about the white business owner in New Jersey who had the image of President Obama as a “witch doctor” in his storefront window. It’s an image he swears isn’t racist.
To be honest, I’m much more concerned with what our community thinks of itself because it’s one thing if someone else views you as inferior, but it’s a whole 'nutha problem if you see yourself this way.
I recently read an article in the Washington Post by Marita Golden that spoke to the ‘color complex’ in black communities – not years ago, but right now.
Golden’s article depicted countless examples of self-hatred, including comments about how college students say they would ‘never marry a dark skinned female’; or how one woman was shocked to learn, upon the birth of her grandson, that her daughter had been quote-unquote, “praying that he’d come out light, like his father, not dark like me.”
Wow, will we ever get over this sickness? I mean, how long will we continue to hate ourselves, our beautiful African roots, and our darker hue?
Well, thankfully, the annual celebration of Community Healing Days designed to mobilize black people to overcome the lie of black inferiority is coming up this weekend.
That lie—and its devaluation of black hair, black skin, and every other aspect of black people-contributes to the low self-esteem of so many black folk, the black-white academic achievement gap, the mass incarceration of black men, the epidemic of violence, and many of the other problems facing our community.
To reverse these negative trends, we’ve got to engage in a fearless struggle for our psychological liberation and the Community Healing Network is working with the Association of Black Psychologists and leaders in Tuskegee, Alabama to create a nationwide grassroots network of self-help groups focused on emotional healing for Black people.
This year, The Association of Black Psychologists and Community Healing Network are asking black people to make personal commitments to emotional wellness by taking a pledge to defy the lie of black inferiority and embrace the truth of black humanity.
To get involved go to communityhealingnet.org and take the pledge to Defy the Lie and Embrace the Truth.
I’m going to leave you with words from a poem written by a talented young brother named A.D. Carson who is a leader of this effort.
“And if you tell a lie long enough,
if it gets far enough from its origin
that the people who tell it believe it to be true,
you can hold a mirror up to the most beautiful little brown boy or girl
and watch him frown a little,
watch her wince a bit,
see them deny what is the very definition of beauty
for the false belief that what they see is the exact opposite…
Emotional Emancipation is the defying of the lie…
Defy The Lie. Embrace the Truth.
Look into that mirror…and see beauty for what it is.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31