On the eve of another meeting of the state task force reviewing “stand your ground,” the parents of Trayvon Martin have launched a new website and political committee aimed at changing the controversial law, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
A new committee of continuous existence, or CCE, called “Change for Trayvon” and a corresponding website will collect funds to “be distributed to candidates, elected officials and efforts which support the mission of… revising Stand Your Ground laws across the nation to ensure there is judicial or prosecutorial oversight,” the site says.
The new website also includes a video with Trayvon’s parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, and PayPal links for donations.
“Something has to change, which is why we created the change for Trayvon Martin movement, to shine the light on stand your ground laws across the nation,” Fulton says in the video.
Tracy Martin adds that “these laws allow individuals to shoot first and ask questions later,” echoing critics who call the law “shoot first,” rather than the “stand your ground.”
According to the website, ChangeForTrayvon.com, no “member of the Martin Family or their attorneys will benefit personally from the funds raised,” and 90 percent of what’s donated “will go directly to support the mission of Change For Trayvon.”
Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Trayvon’s family, told the Sentinel the CCE was formed “specifically to try to get this law revised.”
“Any time anybody shoots anybody now, they claim ‘stand your ground,’” Crump said. “I don’t think that’s what any legislator intended for any of these laws to be used for when they passed this law.”
Trayvon’s shooting drew international outcry after police initially did not arrest his shooter, George Zimmerman. Zimmerman says he fired in self-defense, after the teenager from Miami Gardens attacked him Feb. 26 in Sanford. Prosecutors and Trayvon’s family say that Zimmerman profiled, pursued and shot the teen.
The “stand your ground” law grants immunity if a defendant can show the use of deadly force was in response to a reasonable fear of serious injury or death. The law is controversial for several reasons, including the immunity language and the lack of a requirement to retreat if possible before responding with force.
Critics contend it encourages violence, and leaves police agencies reluctant to make arrests in cases where there is a self-defense claim. Supporters say the law empowers law-abiding citizens to better protect themselves.
The CCE announcement comes the day before the Task Force on Citizen Safety and Protection, which is reviewing the law in the wake of the controversial shooting, will meet for the sixth time Tuesday in Jacksonville.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31