President Barack Obama is striving to win over women at the polls.
Recent surveys have shown the support for President Obama has dwindled among women tightening the gap between him and Republican nominee Mitt Romney.
A USA Today-Gallup survey found that Obama and Romney are tied at 48 percent among women voters in battleground states. This finding was also mirrored in a recent Pew poll with Obama losing his 18 point lead over Romney tying them at 47 percent.
In comparison to the days leading up to the first debate, neither campaign spoke heavily on their candidate’s expected performance in detail. However, Obama’s campaign did promise a more aggressive approach to the second debate.
“You should expect that [Obama’s] going to be firm but respectful in correcting the record and the times we expect Mitt Romney will hide from and distort his own policies, said Jen Psaki, a campaign spokeswoman. “He’s energized and I expect he will also be making a passionate case.”
In preparation for the debate, President Obama took in a morning workout as well as a last minute prep session with his campaign debate team.
A source close to the campaign said that the president will not take a tender approach this go-round. He also mentioned that the president will likely bring up Romney’s “47-percent” remarks.
President Obama is also rumored to negate claims Romney made during the first debate such as Romney’s insistence on covering pre-existing conditions in his health-care program.
Romney has also spent the past few days brushing up on the town hall debate format in which audience members can ask the candidates questions. Candidates may answer the questions directly to the audience member rather than the moderator.
The town hall format has been met with some challenges in previous debates. During the 2008 campaign, Sen. John McCain’s pacing on stage became comedic ammunition for a “Saturday Night Live” parody. On the other hand, the audience-engagement format proved to be an advantage for former president Bill Clinton during the 1992 debate against President George H.W. Bush.
Despite the second debate’s more engaging format, tonight’s face-off will abide by a 21-page document of rules which were published on Monday in Time Magazine. Audience members will not be allowed to ask follow-up questions and President Obama and Romney have agreed to not direct questions to each other.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25