Why is it so important to write a will?
I know none of us really want to think about our own death; and I’m not the Grim Reaper, but I am here to remind everyone that we’re all going to die someday and I can’t stress enough that if you don't have a solid legal document in place, you could leave behind a big mess. A recent survey found that roughly 60% of Americans don’t have wills, and the numbers are even lower for African American and Hispanic adults.
The problem is that especially during tough economic times like these, people think saving for immediate needs is more important than planning for the future of their estates, but that’s a mistake.
I’ve heard some nightmare stories about estates being argued over long after a person has died. It can fraction an already traumatized family, is tedious and expensive and entirely avoidable.
How do you go about writing a will?
You don’t have to get a lawyer, but it’s best if you do. At the bare minimum, there are rules you have to adhere to like stating clearly it’s your will, naming an executor and signing the document in front of two witnesses. However, I don’t recommend a do-it-yourself will. A lawyer can help ensure the document is inscrutable and can advise you about specific state laws and how to best avoid taxes.
Isn’t it expensive to hire a lawyer?
Most people overestimate how much a will is going to cost and underestimate their overall net worth. Besides, an estate plan isn’t about protecting your assets, it’s about protecting your family. There are straightforward, affordable options. In the overall scheme of things, it’s really not that expensive. Professional assistance will help ensure your will is not contested, which is especially important if you’ve been married more than once or have children who are minors. But if the cost is really what’s holding you back, buildawill.com and legacywriter.com are two online options to do it yourself. It’s better than no will at all.
What happens if you don’t have a will?
Without a will, the laws of the state and the decisions of a probate court could determine how your estate is distributed, who will care for your children if they are minors, etcetera. This can get really ugly when it involves an estranged spouse or parents because the law doesn’t care about your feelings.
What is a living will?
A living will is an entirely different matter. That’s about leaving an advance health care directive that outlines your wishes and appoints someone to make decisions for you if you are incapacitated due to illness or injury. You should have a living will too. My advice is to stop procrastinating and plan your estate; hopefully the documents will spend many years collecting dust!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30