Why is it so important to write a will?
I know none of us really want to think about our own death; and I’m not the Grim Reaper, but I am here to remind everyone that we’re all going to die someday and I can’t stress enough that if you don't have a solid legal document in place, you could leave behind a big mess. A recent survey found that roughly 60% of Americans don’t have wills, and the numbers are even lower for African American and Hispanic adults.
The problem is that especially during tough economic times like these, people think saving for immediate needs is more important than planning for the future of their estates, but that’s a mistake.
I’ve heard some nightmare stories about estates being argued over long after a person has died. It can fraction an already traumatized family, is tedious and expensive and entirely avoidable.
How do you go about writing a will?
You don’t have to get a lawyer, but it’s best if you do. At the bare minimum, there are rules you have to adhere to like stating clearly it’s your will, naming an executor and signing the document in front of two witnesses. However, I don’t recommend a do-it-yourself will. A lawyer can help ensure the document is inscrutable and can advise you about specific state laws and how to best avoid taxes.
Isn’t it expensive to hire a lawyer?
Most people overestimate how much a will is going to cost and underestimate their overall net worth. Besides, an estate plan isn’t about protecting your assets, it’s about protecting your family. There are straightforward, affordable options. In the overall scheme of things, it’s really not that expensive. Professional assistance will help ensure your will is not contested, which is especially important if you’ve been married more than once or have children who are minors. But if the cost is really what’s holding you back, buildawill.com and legacywriter.com are two online options to do it yourself. It’s better than no will at all.
What happens if you don’t have a will?
Without a will, the laws of the state and the decisions of a probate court could determine how your estate is distributed, who will care for your children if they are minors, etcetera. This can get really ugly when it involves an estranged spouse or parents because the law doesn’t care about your feelings.
What is a living will?
A living will is an entirely different matter. That’s about leaving an advance health care directive that outlines your wishes and appoints someone to make decisions for you if you are incapacitated due to illness or injury. You should have a living will too. My advice is to stop procrastinating and plan your estate; hopefully the documents will spend many years collecting dust!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31