A member of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Nathanael Gay, tied the knot with longtime beau recently in what is a brave undertaking considering the issues of sexuality and homophobia that exist in fraternities.
Robert Brown and Nathanael Gay married on September 8th, 2012 in Lexington, Kentucky surrounded by friends and family in an elaborate, red and white decorated venue.
The couple rocked matching white suits with red embellishments, while the women in their bridal party wore black tube dresses with red rose bouquets and the men wore black suits with white shirts.
According to their wedding website, the couple met in Walmart and have been together since April 2005.
Nathanael Gay joined the Tom Joyner Morning Show this morning to clear up some inaccuracies that have been reported this week in regards to his wedding.
Gay, an electrical engineer, wants people to know the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity was not intentionally represented in he and his partner's wedding, saying, "there was no affiliation whatsoever to Kappa in my wedding…this was not a Kappa Wedding…our colors were not based off the Kappa colors like most of the articles mentioned."
Instead, the choice of adorning red and white in their wedding was because it's his partner's favorite color. "My husband loves the color red & white… red & white is kind of a symbol of love," said Gay. He went on to say they had no intentions of the wedding being Greek.
Since the YouTube video of their wedding hit the web, a lot of controversy has surfaced with people objecting to the wedding while others have shown support for the couple.
On the controversy, Gay told the crew, "It's just sad that the rest of society has not caught up to our lifestyle and the decisions that we make in life…we pay our taxes just like the next man…we just look to get the same amount of respect as any individual in this world. We're not looking to be second class citizens in America.
Ending the interview, the TJMS asked Gay if there's a chance another fraternity might have re-posted the video. Gay said, "I have no other choice but to believe that it came from another Greek organization. They took a great day… threw it out to the media and put a huge spin on it so that it would be very controversial and it became a disgrace…or others demeaned my fraternity."
If you haven't seen it yet, check out the video of the couple's beautiful wedding below.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading VIDEO: A Male Kappa Ties the Knot