Teen Hospitalized After Drinking Nitrogen Drink, Stomach Explodes

Comments: 1  | Leave A Comment
  • advertisement
  • LONDON (AP) — Authorities say a British teen has had her stomach removed after she ingested a cocktail prepared with liquid nitrogen, an exotic ingredient often used by bartenders to add a touch of drama to their drinks.

    British media say 18-year-old Gaby Scanlon was out with her friends Thursday night in the northern England city of Lancaster when she was hospitalized after having a drink prepared with liquid nitrogen, a super-cooled version of the harmless gas.

    Liquid nitrogen evaporates rapidly at room temperature, creating a cauldron effect as water condenses around the glass.

    It's not clear how exactly Scanlon managed to ingest the liquid — local police have said they're investigating — but public health officials say it's time to take a second look at its use in bars.

    1 2 Next page »

    Tags:

    • More Related Content

    Follow

    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 1,917 other followers