NBA legend Magic Johnson says he’s got President Barack Obama’s back, even though it may set him back a few million dollars if he wins re-election.
In an interview on CNN Tuesday, Johnson said he still supports Obama despite the president’s call for millionaires to pay a greater share in taxes compared to middle class Americans.
“Nothing has changed, I’m still a big supporter of President Obama,” Johnson told CNN’s Erin Burnett. “I think that he inherited a mess. It took him a long time to really wrap his arms around the mess, and he’s doing a good job of trying to bring the economy back, trying to get us jobs.”
Johnson said “could he have done a better job? Of course, of course. Will he do a better job if gets four more years? I think he will.”
Johnson has made millions as a superstar guard for the Los Angeles Lakers and in retirement as a movie theater chain owner and a successful entrepreneur who owns a piece of the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team.
When reminded that Obama wants millionaires to pay more in taxes and wants owners of corporate jets to pay more, Johnson laughed and flashed his trademark smile.
“I know he’s talking about taxing planes – I own a plane,” Johnson said. “I own a plane, thanks a lot, President Obama. But I still support him.”
Johnson also expressed support for actress Stacey Dash, who expressed support for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney in a tweet and was blasted by blacks and other Obama supporters.
“Vote for Romney. The only choice for your future. @mittromney @teamromney #mittromney #VOTE #voteromney,” she tweeted.
For the star who appeared in the movie “Clueless” and television series “The Game,” a single tweet has caused her a lot of grief.
“RACIAL DRAFT: I LIKE TO REQUEST A TRADE TO SEND STACEYDASH TO THE CAUCASIANS TO AQUIRE BILL CLINTON TO THE BLACKS,” one opposing tweet read.
“It’s a shame that Stacey is getting attacked like this because she has a right to vote for Romney, if that’s her choice,” Johnson said. “But at the same time, I know that President Obama, being the first African-American to get into the White House, is big for all of us.”
Johnson predicted that Dash will be among the few black voters to cast a ballot for Romney on Election Day.
“Will African-Americans vote for Romney? Probably not,” he said. “It’s not going to happen. He’ll probably get five percent, two percent, something like that. One thing African-Americans are going to do: They’re either go to vote for President Obama or they’re going to stay home and vote for nobody.”
A poll released this week by the Pew Research Center found that only seven percent of black Americans have a favorable view of Romney while 88 percent have a favorable view of Obama.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31