Susan G. Komen for the Cure has partnered with Tom Joyner’s Take a Loved One to the Doctor to encourage black women to get screenings and become aware of the early signs of breast cancer, the most common found among African American women.
While white women are more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer, black women tend to contract it at an earlier age – usually before age 40 – and are twice as likely to die from the disease. It is the second most common cause of cancer death among black women, exceeded only by lung cancer.
Crystal King, an 8-year breast cancer survivor, manager of multicultural marketing for Susan G. Komen for the Cure, is an 8-year breast cancer survivor who was diagnosed at age 25, while working as a sales manager for Philip Morris USA. After five years with the tobacco giant, she left to go to work for Komen for the Cure.
“We’ve proudly partnered with the TJMS family on many events [including the Tom Joyner Family Reunion] and each time we come away knowing that we’ve made an impact on a community that is so critical to our mission,” King said in a statement from Komen for the Cure.
King organizes Komen activities for awareness and early detection of breast cancer in black women in the U.S. and abroad.
As a manager of Circle of Promise, Komen’s African American program, King works with 122 domestic to expand outreach efforts in minority communities, including speaking with women who are battling breast cancer behind bars.
Breast cancer in black women is more likely to be associated with poor prognosis, especially for what’s commonly known as Triple Negative cancer, a particularly virulent form of the disease that does not respond to traditional breast cancer treatment.
According to Komen, King has traveled the country as a speaker for many occasions and is most recognized for being featured on Cheerios cereal boxes and other General Mills products such as Cheerios Snack Mix, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fiber One Cereals and Warm Delights Brownies to name a few as she represents General Mills as a Pink Together Survivor Ambassador.
Komen urges black women to become Circle of Promise (COP) ambassadors by knowing and encouraging other women to conduct monthly self-exams; get a clinical exam at least every three years, starting at age 20 and annually after age 40; have an annual mammogram starting at age 40, if they are at average risk for getting the disease and learn their family history to determine if they have a genetic risk for breast cancer.
Women are also urged to consult with their doctors to determine when screening should begin and how often.
Komen also encourages women to make healthy lifestyle choices, including eating right and getting regular exercise.
Women should consult a health care expert if they experience:
• a lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area
• change in the size or shape of the breast
• dimpling or puckering of the skin
• itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
• pulling in of the nipple or other parts of the breast
• nipple discharge that starts suddenly
• new pain in one spot that doesn’t go away
To find resources and a local Komen affiliate, go to http://www.circleofpromise.org.
“Don’t be afraid to talk about it,” King said. “Your story may save someone’s life.”
Click here to find out the answers to your health questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30