Susan G. Komen for the Cure has partnered with Tom Joyner’s Take a Loved One to the Doctor to encourage black women to get screenings and become aware of the early signs of breast cancer, the most common found among African American women.
While white women are more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer, black women tend to contract it at an earlier age – usually before age 40 – and are twice as likely to die from the disease. It is the second most common cause of cancer death among black women, exceeded only by lung cancer.
Crystal King, an 8-year breast cancer survivor, manager of multicultural marketing for Susan G. Komen for the Cure, is an 8-year breast cancer survivor who was diagnosed at age 25, while working as a sales manager for Philip Morris USA. After five years with the tobacco giant, she left to go to work for Komen for the Cure.
“We’ve proudly partnered with the TJMS family on many events [including the Tom Joyner Family Reunion] and each time we come away knowing that we’ve made an impact on a community that is so critical to our mission,” King said in a statement from Komen for the Cure.
King organizes Komen activities for awareness and early detection of breast cancer in black women in the U.S. and abroad.
As a manager of Circle of Promise, Komen’s African American program, King works with 122 domestic to expand outreach efforts in minority communities, including speaking with women who are battling breast cancer behind bars.
Breast cancer in black women is more likely to be associated with poor prognosis, especially for what’s commonly known as Triple Negative cancer, a particularly virulent form of the disease that does not respond to traditional breast cancer treatment.
According to Komen, King has traveled the country as a speaker for many occasions and is most recognized for being featured on Cheerios cereal boxes and other General Mills products such as Cheerios Snack Mix, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fiber One Cereals and Warm Delights Brownies to name a few as she represents General Mills as a Pink Together Survivor Ambassador.
Komen urges black women to become Circle of Promise (COP) ambassadors by knowing and encouraging other women to conduct monthly self-exams; get a clinical exam at least every three years, starting at age 20 and annually after age 40; have an annual mammogram starting at age 40, if they are at average risk for getting the disease and learn their family history to determine if they have a genetic risk for breast cancer.
Women are also urged to consult with their doctors to determine when screening should begin and how often.
Komen also encourages women to make healthy lifestyle choices, including eating right and getting regular exercise.
Women should consult a health care expert if they experience:
• a lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area
• change in the size or shape of the breast
• dimpling or puckering of the skin
• itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
• pulling in of the nipple or other parts of the breast
• nipple discharge that starts suddenly
• new pain in one spot that doesn’t go away
To find resources and a local Komen affiliate, go to http://www.circleofpromise.org.
“Don’t be afraid to talk about it,” King said. “Your story may save someone’s life.”
Click here to find out the answers to your health questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25