Rappers Delight, The Message, when having a pair off Adidas was big, Salt and Peppa and Mc Lyte proved you could be on top and a lady at the same damn time, when NWA dropped "F— Tha Police," but we realized this music we loved could simultaneously be angry, make us dance with Digital Underground, while KRS-1 and Chuck D made us think and challenge our condition, all while Big Daddy Kane made us just want to be fly.
We didn’t have to choose conscious over gangsta, party over message, or righteous over raunchy. We could exist in the real world with our hip-hop with out a label or network telling us what we would like. Our hip-hop was never perfect; it was just given the chance to grow in an environment that was a little more honest.
I don’t hate Hip-Hop now. I hate that we have so little power within it that the brilliance that is our young soldiers is bought and sold for pennies and they believe their balling because they can make it rain. But there is a reality that can’t be taken away from many of the members of the new school. Like them or not, they have a work ethic and grind that is admirable. They have put energy into the studio that used to be reserved for the street. And many have understood the value of ownership, when many of us who judge them own nothing.
We are seeing hip-hop grow up when you have more and more public artists with private marriages and relationships that encourage healthy love and appreciation. Hip-Hop is growing up when Jay-Z can have twitter abuzz with events and ownership at the Barclay Center, 50 can have the world drinking vitamin water, and the Smiths can direct and produce their own son’s blockbuster movie.
So yes, we all want hip-hop to do and be more. We should challenge the misogyny, condemn anti-intellectualism, and embrace positive messages. But we must always honor negative truth. Let we not forget that hip-hop in the best hands has served as the sound track for reality when others were afraid to speak.
Get rid of the fake gangsta’s; but don’t deny real stories of modern street life to be erased in the name o political correctness. We want more Lupe Fiasco’s and Kendrick Lamar’s, Dee-1 from New Orleans and others who keep it hot and positive to be PART of the main stream. But in these days what we need is truth, the good and the bad. Hip-Hop can still be used to inspire a generation.
If you don’t believe me, look at a video from the Orr Elementary School in DC. They made a rap called "My School Is Awesome." They are the real future of hip-hop and I pray they can take it back in ways we didn’t know how to.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25