Rappers Delight, The Message, when having a pair off Adidas was big, Salt and Peppa and Mc Lyte proved you could be on top and a lady at the same damn time, when NWA dropped "F— Tha Police," but we realized this music we loved could simultaneously be angry, make us dance with Digital Underground, while KRS-1 and Chuck D made us think and challenge our condition, all while Big Daddy Kane made us just want to be fly.
We didn’t have to choose conscious over gangsta, party over message, or righteous over raunchy. We could exist in the real world with our hip-hop with out a label or network telling us what we would like. Our hip-hop was never perfect; it was just given the chance to grow in an environment that was a little more honest.
I don’t hate Hip-Hop now. I hate that we have so little power within it that the brilliance that is our young soldiers is bought and sold for pennies and they believe their balling because they can make it rain. But there is a reality that can’t be taken away from many of the members of the new school. Like them or not, they have a work ethic and grind that is admirable. They have put energy into the studio that used to be reserved for the street. And many have understood the value of ownership, when many of us who judge them own nothing.
We are seeing hip-hop grow up when you have more and more public artists with private marriages and relationships that encourage healthy love and appreciation. Hip-Hop is growing up when Jay-Z can have twitter abuzz with events and ownership at the Barclay Center, 50 can have the world drinking vitamin water, and the Smiths can direct and produce their own son’s blockbuster movie.
So yes, we all want hip-hop to do and be more. We should challenge the misogyny, condemn anti-intellectualism, and embrace positive messages. But we must always honor negative truth. Let we not forget that hip-hop in the best hands has served as the sound track for reality when others were afraid to speak.
Get rid of the fake gangsta’s; but don’t deny real stories of modern street life to be erased in the name o political correctness. We want more Lupe Fiasco’s and Kendrick Lamar’s, Dee-1 from New Orleans and others who keep it hot and positive to be PART of the main stream. But in these days what we need is truth, the good and the bad. Hip-Hop can still be used to inspire a generation.
If you don’t believe me, look at a video from the Orr Elementary School in DC. They made a rap called "My School Is Awesome." They are the real future of hip-hop and I pray they can take it back in ways we didn’t know how to.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31