Rappers Delight, The Message, when having a pair off Adidas was big, Salt and Peppa and Mc Lyte proved you could be on top and a lady at the same damn time, when NWA dropped "F— Tha Police," but we realized this music we loved could simultaneously be angry, make us dance with Digital Underground, while KRS-1 and Chuck D made us think and challenge our condition, all while Big Daddy Kane made us just want to be fly.
We didn’t have to choose conscious over gangsta, party over message, or righteous over raunchy. We could exist in the real world with our hip-hop with out a label or network telling us what we would like. Our hip-hop was never perfect; it was just given the chance to grow in an environment that was a little more honest.
I don’t hate Hip-Hop now. I hate that we have so little power within it that the brilliance that is our young soldiers is bought and sold for pennies and they believe their balling because they can make it rain. But there is a reality that can’t be taken away from many of the members of the new school. Like them or not, they have a work ethic and grind that is admirable. They have put energy into the studio that used to be reserved for the street. And many have understood the value of ownership, when many of us who judge them own nothing.
We are seeing hip-hop grow up when you have more and more public artists with private marriages and relationships that encourage healthy love and appreciation. Hip-Hop is growing up when Jay-Z can have twitter abuzz with events and ownership at the Barclay Center, 50 can have the world drinking vitamin water, and the Smiths can direct and produce their own son’s blockbuster movie.
So yes, we all want hip-hop to do and be more. We should challenge the misogyny, condemn anti-intellectualism, and embrace positive messages. But we must always honor negative truth. Let we not forget that hip-hop in the best hands has served as the sound track for reality when others were afraid to speak.
Get rid of the fake gangsta’s; but don’t deny real stories of modern street life to be erased in the name o political correctness. We want more Lupe Fiasco’s and Kendrick Lamar’s, Dee-1 from New Orleans and others who keep it hot and positive to be PART of the main stream. But in these days what we need is truth, the good and the bad. Hip-Hop can still be used to inspire a generation.
If you don’t believe me, look at a video from the Orr Elementary School in DC. They made a rap called "My School Is Awesome." They are the real future of hip-hop and I pray they can take it back in ways we didn’t know how to.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25