Click Here to watch her performance!
Angie Stone is a real soul sister, but she got her first big record as a hip-hop artist. It just goes to show you how versatile the singer/songwriter/actress really is. Stone has made several gorgeous records and despite the dearth of real singers on the charts, her career remains a dynamic one. She can even boast being one of the creative influences on her ex, D’Angelo, who she collaborated with on both of his Grammy-winning albums. Stone’s latest CD “Rich Girl” was released last month. Read on for more on our latest In-Studio Jam artist.
BORN: Angela Laverne Brown in Columbia, S.C.
BIG BREAK: Getting her start in church and then as a part of Sequence, an early female hip –hop trio that signed to the famed hip-hop label Sugar Hill Records.
BACK STORY: After hitting with Sequence on the early hip-hop hip “Funk You Up” Stone worked with producer Mantronix and then went to the forefront as the lead singer in the 90’s group Vertical Hold.
RESUME: Stone is often credited with major contributions to both of D’Angelo’s albums “Brown Sugar” and “Voodoo.” The two had a personal relationship that resulted in a son, Michael, now a teenager. She has also worked with Lenny Kravitz, Guru, Macy Gray, Omar, Dionne Warwick, Kool and the Gang and more.
FUN FACTS: Stone told “Ebony” magazine that Dr. Dre owns the publishing on “Funk You Up,” which he acquired from the late Sylvia Robinson. (The song “Keep Their Heads Ringin’” uses the sample. Stone says she’d like to meet Dre and ask if he could return the publishing that should never have been sold in the first place. Stone is the voice of the theme song for the now defunct show “Girlfriends.”
LATEST WORK: “Rich Girl” out now
1. Intro: “Real Music"
2. "Do What U Gotta Do"
3. "Backup Plan"
4. "Proud of Me"
5. "First Time"
7. "Interlude" (By Malcolm-Jamal Warner)
9. "Livin’ It Up"
10. "Rich Girl"
11. "Right in Front of Me"
12. "I Can’t Take it"
13. "Push N' Pull"
14. "U Lit My Fire"
15. "Sisters" (Feat. Yanna Crawley, Tweet & Danetra Moore)
ON FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/RealAngieStone
ON TWITTER: @RealAngieStone
BEST OF ANGIE STONE (Video):
“Do What You Gotta Do”
“No More Rain”
“Wish I Didn’t Miss You”
“A lot of people don’t know what I do. In the industry they take credit for work because to some degree it makes them feel worthy or greater. I am not a ghostwriter ‘cause it is on the CD covers who wrote and did what but people don’t care about anything they can’t see. The work gets unnoticed and the credibility goes untouched. There is a deep sad feeling that as a songwriter—something such a gift—you never get acknowledged for it. People think that’s how I eat because I make records but I make far more money as songwriter than from being a singer.” Ebony.com (2012) http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/interview-angie-stone-soul-on-the-outside-488/2
“I did a song about brothers ("Brotha”) on her 2001 album, “Mahogany Soul” and I've wanted to do a song about sisters and I thought the timing was right, because so many of us need each other. If we don't band together, we're gonna fall apart. I came up with the concept and I started just humming the music, the melody. And a young guy by the name of Isaac Lewis was in the studio and I told him, 'Can you play this?' and as we went along we were sitting in the studio and I wanted to start a song about sisters and that's how it came about. I asked Y'Anna and Danetra (Moore), Tweet and my brother (Warren Jones) to help me out, and everybody grabbed a pen and wrote their verses.” About.com (2012) http://randb.about.com/od/artistinterviews/a/Angie-Stone-Interview.htm
“I really want to work with Lauryn Hill because she reminds me so much of myself. I love how serious she takes music, and when she first came out on the scene she reminded me of another Angie Stone, and she went on the next level. I was blown away by her. The male artist that I’d love to work with is John Mayer since he is a very interesting artist that knows and really appreciates great music,” she reveals.” Suite101.com (2012) http://suite101.com/article/interview-with-angie-stone-do-what-u-gotta-do-a408513
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30