Do you have some financial tips for those who may be going through divorce?
When you’re going through a divorce, your finances could be the last thing on your mind, but the decisions you make now will affect you for a long, long time, so be sure not to rush the process because you’re emotional and just want it to be over.
If we played the word-association game with “divorce” you’d probably say “lawyer,” but it’s equally important to get a trustworthy financial advisor to help you navigate the process and avoid common mistakes. If you’ve found yourself on the way to single…again, here are a few tips:
First, know what you have. Gather all of your financial information—all your bank statements, investment assets, tax returns, bonus statements, retirement assets—make copies of everything. These documents have a funny way of disappearing after divorce proceedings begin.
Next, that same “state of the union” check-up should include obtaining a copy of all three of your credit reports, which you should monitor to ensure your credit score stays stable until the divorce is final.
Also be sure you know your status on all kinds of insurance (home, car, health, life). Who is ensuring the premiums are being paid on time and how will these policies—which may be family policies—change after your split? Be sure you are continuously covered. In light of your split, you may have different thoughts on who should be the beneficiary on your life insurance and retirement plans, so be sure to consider that too.
After you’ve completed the fact-finding phase, you need to take steps toward planning for the future. The first step is to separate your finances. Close all joint accounts—that includes bank accounts and credit cards. Next, create accounts in your own name and draft a revised budget for yourself. Where do you stand on your own? Have you and your spouse decided how to handle possible future expenses, like education costs for your children? Speaking of children, what do you think would be a fair amount of child support? How about your retirement? This is why it’s so critical to have a good financial advisor. One non-negotiable: have an emergency fund that will cover you for at least six months.
Also, dot your t’s and cross your i’s. You’ve already sifted through a mountain of paperwork, but don’t forget to work with your lawyer to draft a new will, health care proxy and power of attorney.
It’s definitely a lot of work and can feel overwhelming, but it’s manageable. Just keep your focus on the endgame and take it one step at a time.
Any parting advice?
Yes. Everyone gets married with the best of intensions and high hopes for the future. But the fact is that nearly one in four marriages end before the couple’s tenth wedding anniversary. It’s not romantic, and hopefully you’ll never need it, but a prenuptial agreement can save everyone a lot of headache…Unfortunately, you’re on your own with the heartache.
I guess there are other experts for that!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25