Do you have some financial tips for those who may be going through divorce?
When you’re going through a divorce, your finances could be the last thing on your mind, but the decisions you make now will affect you for a long, long time, so be sure not to rush the process because you’re emotional and just want it to be over.
If we played the word-association game with “divorce” you’d probably say “lawyer,” but it’s equally important to get a trustworthy financial advisor to help you navigate the process and avoid common mistakes. If you’ve found yourself on the way to single…again, here are a few tips:
First, know what you have. Gather all of your financial information—all your bank statements, investment assets, tax returns, bonus statements, retirement assets—make copies of everything. These documents have a funny way of disappearing after divorce proceedings begin.
Next, that same “state of the union” check-up should include obtaining a copy of all three of your credit reports, which you should monitor to ensure your credit score stays stable until the divorce is final.
Also be sure you know your status on all kinds of insurance (home, car, health, life). Who is ensuring the premiums are being paid on time and how will these policies—which may be family policies—change after your split? Be sure you are continuously covered. In light of your split, you may have different thoughts on who should be the beneficiary on your life insurance and retirement plans, so be sure to consider that too.
After you’ve completed the fact-finding phase, you need to take steps toward planning for the future. The first step is to separate your finances. Close all joint accounts—that includes bank accounts and credit cards. Next, create accounts in your own name and draft a revised budget for yourself. Where do you stand on your own? Have you and your spouse decided how to handle possible future expenses, like education costs for your children? Speaking of children, what do you think would be a fair amount of child support? How about your retirement? This is why it’s so critical to have a good financial advisor. One non-negotiable: have an emergency fund that will cover you for at least six months.
Also, dot your t’s and cross your i’s. You’ve already sifted through a mountain of paperwork, but don’t forget to work with your lawyer to draft a new will, health care proxy and power of attorney.
It’s definitely a lot of work and can feel overwhelming, but it’s manageable. Just keep your focus on the endgame and take it one step at a time.
Any parting advice?
Yes. Everyone gets married with the best of intensions and high hopes for the future. But the fact is that nearly one in four marriages end before the couple’s tenth wedding anniversary. It’s not romantic, and hopefully you’ll never need it, but a prenuptial agreement can save everyone a lot of headache…Unfortunately, you’re on your own with the heartache.
I guess there are other experts for that!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31