A man’s ear itching problem led doctors to find mites in his ear.
The 70-year-old man in Taiwan reported feeling a sense of fullness in his ear without any hearing lost or discharge.
Doctors discovered mite eggs and mites crawling in his ear canal. The medical report identified the insects as house-dust mites known as Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus.
Dr. Ian Stoper, the director of ontology at the New York Head and Neck Institute at Lenox Hill Hospital, classified the rare mite condition as otoacariasis.
"It's much more common to see a cockroach in the ear," Storper said. He added that in many of those cases, cockroaches are already dead in their ear. However, Dr. Stoper said that he’s only seen two cases involving mites.
Dr. Stoper reported that insects become stuck in the ear as a result of their inability to walk backward. When the insects are alive, patient symptoms include hearing buzzing sounds in addition to pain.
Doctors recorded a video of the Taiwanese man’s ear showing swollen ear tissue and debris in his ear canal.
Dr. Richard Nelson, vice chair of emergency medicine at Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center said that after seeing cases of mosquitos, gnats, and other insects in a patient’s ear he finds it is easier to tell them after the insects have been removed.
He said that in one particular case, a woman panicked when she found out a cockroach was in her ear before a removal procedure.
"She was really freaked out," Nelson said. "Now, I just say, I think I see the problem, I'm going to put some stuff in your ear," and tell them about it after the cockroach is out.”
Dr. Nelson reported that some patients, however, surprisingly remain calm during the diagnosis. One of his patients admitted that he’s had a cockroach in his ear before.
"Patients with cockroaches in their ear always show up at 2 a.m. — they wake up with sudden onset of ear pain," he said. He mentioned that most of the late night cases involved bugs crawling in their ears while sleeping.
Treatments for the condition involve irrigating the ear with oil and alcohol. Occasionally doctors will use an anesthetic as well as tiny forceps to remove a critter.
"It's very important to pull out the whole thing," Storper said. "If you leave legs, you can get a bacterial infection. They're dirty, they've been crawling everywhere," he said.
The Taiwanese man was given eardrops containing antifungal and antibacterial agents as well as anti-inflammatory medicine. Doctors reported that his symptoms went away two days later.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25