So, of course, I watched the presidential debate last night but I’m not going to analyze it since that will be done a million times over.
What actually struck me last night as I watched the debate is the obvious yet still stunning fact that, in this day and age, with an African American president, an African American Attorney General, and a number of African American governors, mayors, judges and elected officials across this land, a substantial number of people will be denied their opportunity to vote for one of these candidates come November simply because they look like you and me.
Now some of you may have heard about this Tea Party-affiliated group called True the Vote that has pledged to deploy as many as one million poll watchers “to challenge and confront other Americans as they go to the polls in November.”
And get this… True the Vote has stated they want to make the experience of voting “like driving and seeing the police following you.”
Amazing. Think about it. In 2012, after all these years, African Americans are still fighting to protect our basic right to vote.
To clarify, despite such antidemocratic and racist groups taking it upon themselves to challenge us at the polls, the real challenges to our right to vote are not coming from them or from a bunch of guys riding horses while wearing sheets on their heads.
They are coming from governments, state legislatures and our elected officials.
At least 30 states are enacting voter ID laws or similar measures to significantly affect our ability to vote, steps that will have a disproportionate impact on people of color.
These measures are being put in place even though it has already been shown that fraud by voters at the polls in America rarely happens.
Still, a number of states are requiring a government-issued photo ID, eliminating early and weekend voting, purging voter lists, and making registration less accessible.
In a country that prides itself on being the world’s foremost democracy, this is unacceptable and unlike last night, there should be no debating that.
So once again, it’s time for us to act. Along with contacting your legislators to speak out against voter suppression bills or laws in your state, the Urban League is taking part in a voter empowerment initiative called Occupy the Vote. You can go to the site iamempowered.com and click on their ‘Occupy the Vote’ heading to learn more about ways you can protect our right to vote.
I’ll end with an all-too-familiar phrase from one of the powerful spirituals that we black folks marched to, prayed to, fought to, died to, and triumphed to during the Civil Rights era.
It was a timely rallying call back then; it is even more timely now. And it’s this:
“Ain’t gonna let nobody turn us around.”
Until Next Time, this is Stephanie in Love and Hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30